Air Soap- wwyd? And which fragrance?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first thought was the smell right before a heavy thunderstorm. Right after the first few lightning strikes, but before the sky opens up. Does anyone have that in a bottle? "Lightning" or "Calm Before the Storm" -- I'd pay a lot for that smell in a soap.

TheScentWorks used to have a scent called Tonic that smelled a lot like that to my nose, but alas, they are no longer in business.

Kentish Rain from Brambleberry has a nice ozoney thing going on.

IrishLass :)

Yes! I have a sniffy sample of Kentish Rain. Although, I honestly think I stiffed it all up:sad: I want to get that and a few other BB FOs. But I'm in TN and they're...NOT! My gosh the FOs take for ever to get here. (Yes, I know. They'll never get here if I don't order, though.)

I just had to look that up because yellow seemed to be the last color I would think of as representing air, but darned if it isn't yellow (I always think of blue and white). You learn something new every day.

With that in mind, I love the thought of a pale yellow with a white swirl. For an 'airy' scent, I once tried a Sunflower FO (from Peak's I think) that I think would go good with an air theme. I don't know if you are familiar with Yankee Candle's Sunflower scent, but it smelled a lot like that. NG has a Sunflower FO, too, I just noticed, but I don't know if it smells the same.

IrishLass

I'm glad I could offer a wee bit of information. People are often surprised to find that blue isn't the color for Air. It makes more sense when you consider that blue is already used for Water.
I haven't ordered any Peak's FO's yet, but darn you if I don't have to go place an order now though.

When I think if air, I definitely associate t with pale (sky) blue. I picture either a faux funnel type of swirl with very pale blues and white (to look like swirling wind) or maybe pale blue with wispy marble of white to look like thin clouds.

Pretty neat info about the color yellow. I didn't know that either. I can see how sky blue and ocean blue can look too similar to make a clear distinction between the two.

I just made a batch of blue soap with the fresh snow FO yesterday. It smells airy and ozone to me. But there is definitely someting else in there. From far away it smells just fresh.

If you order the Kentish Rain, be careful with swirls, it is meant to be a serious accelerator. I have some but keep putting off using it b/c of that!

ETA: Out of curiosity went and checked the SSRB on this FO, and it does not seem that bad. Some ricing and A but not necessarily soap on a stick, although that was reported as well. I am going to try it now!

Last edited:
Does NG have anything like a clean linen or cotton FO? You could try a pale blue base with white swirls.

Thanks for this WEALTH of suggestions, everyone! I would totally do Clean Cotton BB but they don't ship it internationally. They shipped me a sample but I can't order it.
Hopefully I'll be able to update you when I've made it. Here's 'water':
663565_orig.jpg

Thanks for this WEALTH of suggestions, everyone! I would totally do Clean Cotton BB but they don't ship it internationally. They shipped me a sample but I can't order it.
Hopefully I'll be able to update you when I've made it. Here's 'water':
663565_orig.jpg

can anyone see that? on my screen it's blank. Oh, computers.

If you order the Kentish Rain, be careful with swirls, it is meant to be a serious accelerator. I have some but keep putting off using it b/c of that!

ETA: Out of curiosity went and checked the SSRB on this FO, and it does not seem that bad. Some ricing and A but not necessarily soap on a stick, although that was reported as well. I am going to try it now!

Kentish Rain is one of my skittish FO's that needs a little TLC. The first time I soaped it, I had major acceleration and lumping, and I barely got it into the mold before it set up. The next time I soaped it, I made some adjustments to my method, and things went so much smoother for me.

What I do is I soap it with a 30% lye solution, and when my batter is barely emulsified after adding the lye solution to the oils, I split the batter into two equal portions (to color separately).

Once the colorants are mixed well into my two portions of batter with my stick-blender, I then hand-stir half my amount of the Kentish Rain FO into one of the colored portions of batter, and the other half of the FO gets hand-stirred into the remaining colored portion. I don't use stick-blender at all when adding the FO, or from here on out. I just hand-stir each portion of batter simultaneously to trace, then pour and swirl.

This is the only way it will soap nicely for me if I want to swirl it.

IrishLass :)

That takes a LOT of finesse which I'm sure you have. I tried working at emulsion once and stirring to trace...and the colors in my swirls separated a few minutes after pouring- I noticed it in the remaining soap at the bottom of the cups as I was washing up. The inside was grainy and inconsistent when I cut it but I use the rebatch to this day because it smells like Champage Pear so it can't go to waste.

I just went through all of my NG samples (I've become quite addicted to buying them) without looking at the labels and the one that stuck out to me as "air" was called Amazingly Grace. The description on their site is florals and citrus.. But I don't smell any of that. It just smells clean and light and very unisex. I'll also put in another vote for OMG olive because it's so good but impossible to describe. .. That's what "air" smells like to me.

That is gorgeous, Mommy, I seriously love it. Beautiful and perfect for the theme. IL, thanks for the heads up/advice on the Kentish Rain, I really have been putting off soaping it, even though I liked it a lot OOB.

Latest posts

Back