Ahh newbie issues...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave J.

Reaction score
Alright mabye not a complete newbie but, Im darn close lol. I make candles for fun and some friends offered me a few bucks for 6 candles. All candles are going to be 8oz so i figured .5oz sent per candle. I am makeing a strawberry melon cucumber blend. A double vanillla bled (Reg and french she loves vanilla who knew) 2 honeysuckle candles a fresh linen and a lilac. I have a few questions I am having issues getting answers for. How can I improve my scent throw without causing wicking issues. I should be near that 6% ratio. Also I have been super glueing buttons I ran the wick through to the bottoms of my jars as holders would it be possable to use some cooled wax or would it just come loose because of the already hot wax pouring in. Finally I want to speed up my process a little could I heat a large batch of wax pour it into my containers and mix the scents in there. It sounds lazy but, I think that may speed things up a ton. I believe that would mean i would have to find a reliable meathid of placing a wick in a jar full of hit wax and keeping the wick straight and true. Idk. Mabye I should just do them one at a time. Please help Im goimg nuts lol.

Sorry for all the bad grammer. I had to type this on a phone and I have big hands lol

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are getting paid for a product I would make sure it's done correctly. You say you are doing it for fun and by what you have said you are winging it. You need to research how to make candles, google candle supplies in your state and see what comes up, they should be able to give you direction. eg.www.candlescience.com

Using buttons to hold a wick just won't cut it, they won't be centred properly and neither will super glue or melted wax. Google wick holders, also paddlepop sticks with a hole in the centre and positioned in the centre on top of the glass will hold the wick.

You just guessed .5oz scent per candle, saying you should be near 6% of fo. Fo's all have different rates of addition, not one size fits all, a good supplier has that listed. You didn't say what wax your using or what temperatures you are pouring at, to be able to tell you about scent throw, candles also need to be cured.

I would not pour wax in the container and then stir throught the fo, it would be too messy and get all over the sides, do it in a separate container and then pour. By spending some money and getting the proper supplies will make it a lot easier.

Do your homework and learn, don't wing it. You can also spend some time and read posts in this forum.

Latest posts

Back