Aging mp base

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

not_ally

Reaction score
I have a large amount of aging mp base (mostly consisting of two 50 lb blocks each of Stephenson's, so 100 lbs in all, 1 block of clear and one of opaque) that I bought about 10 months ago. Then got obsessed w/making cp, so it just sits there staring accusingly me.

How long does this last w/o the glycerin evaporating too much? Ie; can I hold on to it and use it comfortably for another year or so? Try and sell it the bases as-is/make and donate a bunch right now?

not_ally

Reaction score
It is in a big block which was sealed (or at least fully wrapped in plastic that was tucked in well) when I got it. I opened it, took a look at it, and then tucked it in again and have not touched it since ...

galaxyMLP

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it should be fine for a very long time sealed up. Ive had MP base for a while. It keeps well.

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will ask my daughter today. She uses Stephenson's base, of course none sit around that long, but she uses m&p exclusively and has for 6 yrs due to health issues, lye soap is not safe for her to make.

not_ally

Reaction score
Thanks, Carolyn, that would probably be a pretty definitive answer since she knows about Stephenson's.

Last edited:

lisamaliga

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

not_ally

Reaction score
Thanks, Lisa! Do you think keeping it in the original box - actually, it seems somewhat less airtight of a method than yours does - will work in terms of using for another year or so? I don't want to go through and break up the 100 lbs into all those small containers, I don't have enough of them :) Plus am lazy.

Last edited:

lisamaliga

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Lisa! Do you think keeping it in the original box - actually, it seems somewhat less airtight of a method than yours does - will work in terms of using for another year or so? I don't want to go through and break up the 100 lbs into all those small containers, I don't have enough of them :) Plus am lazy.
The original box is good but if you want to keep it in an airtight container, that would be ideal. Also, you should store it in a closet or someplace well away from heat/humidity. Rubbermaid, along with other brands, makes a 14-gallon container. I don't blame you for not wanting to cut up all that soap as 100 pounds is a lot!
Here's a link to the 14-gallon container: http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-FG9S3000WHT-14-gallon-Capacity/dp/B007IBPTBO

Hope this helps & Happy Soaping! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts