Quantcast

Age of soap vs experation dates of oils

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Dharlee

Reaction score
I was reading on the forum and a thought occurred to me. (See the smoke? Lol)

I hear you should be careful about how long you keep/use oils, but what about if you want to cure soap for s longer time than the shelf life of the oil? For example, castille soap might be best after curing for a year, but does the soap become rancid at some point?

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I have soaps whose dates for the oils expired long ago. Not ever had a problem with them at all. The key is to make your soaps with fresh oils and not use a lot of those oils that are prone to DOS. I have soaps 5 years old that are still just fine, just the scents have faded somewhat.

Another thing you can do is to add ROE to your oils when you first open them. Though I've only done that for short life oils as most of my oils aren't around long enough to get old.

notapantsday

Reaction score
The lard I buy (in Germany) already contains ROE so maybe check the labels to see if you can kill two birds with one stone.

Dharlee

Reaction score
I have soaps whose dates for the oils expired long ago. Not ever had a problem with them at all. The key is to make your soaps with fresh oils and not use a lot of those oils that are prone to DOS. I have soaps 5 years old that are still just fine, just the scents have faded somewhat.

Another thing you can do is to add ROE to your oils when you first open them. Though I've only done that for short life oils as most of my oils aren't around long enough to get old.
Does the scent the soap? And how much do you add? Plus I will always check ingredients. Thank you both!

Last edited:

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The fragrance amount varies from fragrance to fragrance. If it's a really strong one I'll use .5-.6 oz ppo. If it's week I'll use 1 oz. ppo. You also need to watch the percentage that is recommended IFRA amount which should be posted on most suppliers sites. I have a couple that you can only use a small amount therefore not such a good idea to use in soap but can use it in other B&B.