Agar agar in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garden Gives Me Joy

Reaction score
I gather that people add agar agar to provide conditioning properties to syndet shampoo. I feel curious and wonder whether it might also work for the skin, especially when using drying ingredients like charcoal. Can anyone share their experiences and or opinions please?

What usage rate is recommended? Does it pose the same potential molding risk as other sugary ingredients (like powdered oats, fruit juices, milks, etc)?

Last edited:
^^same. But to be honest, I've never used fruit juices in my syndet bars, only food powders like colloidal oats and goat milk powder.

@Garden Gives Me Joy, have you read other sources that suggest that syndet bars are prone to molding when sugary ingredients are used? I know that can be true for M&P because the ingredients are not saponified, like they are in CP bars. I'd be interested in hearing more.

^^same. But to be honest, I've never used fruit juices in my syndet bars, only food powders like colloidal oats and goat milk powder.

@Garden Gives Me Joy, have you read other sources that suggest that syndet bars are prone to molding when sugary ingredients are used? I know that can be true for M&P because the ingredients are not saponified, like they are in CP bars. I'd be interested in hearing more.

A syndet shampoo Facebook group post featured a photo of what appeared to be black mold on a preservative-free syndet bar. I am a few months into syndet. So outside of that post, I have not read about or experienced mold with syndet bars. I am primarily interested in how agar agar feels in the hair and on the skin ... and, although I bought phenoxyethanol for my syndet bars and other surfactant-related creations, asked about its potential for molding. Since I live in a highly humid tropical rainforest climate, I consider mold at every turn.

A syndet shampoo Facebook group post featured a photo of what appeared to be black mold on a preservative-free syndet bar. I am a few months into syndet. So outside of that post, I have not read about or experienced mold with syndet bars. I am primarily interested in how agar agar feels in the hair and on the skin ... and, although I bought phenoxyethanol for my syndet bars and other surfactant-related creations, asked about its potential for molding. Since I live in a highly humid tropical rainforest climate, I consider mold at every turn.
That's good to know. I'm in a fairly dry area, but my daughter who loves my syndet shampoo and conditioner bars lives in a very humid area (southeast US). I'll ask her to keep an eye out for mold, as I generally use a very low amount of preservative in both.

Are you a member of SwiftyCraftyMonkey? I pay $1 per month to have basic access, and often find good information there about these types of questions. She also has a Discord channel that you can join for free (I believe?) and ask questions. Or perhaps I was allowed to join bc I used the same email that I use for my SCM subscription?

In any event, while I find the SCM blog format difficult for learning in-depth, it can be a great resource for very specific questions like yours. HumbleBeeandMe.com often has answers, as well. Would love to hear what you find out!

Completely different usage (paper marbling), but agar rots fast without strong preservatives.
I mean, there's a reason microbes are cultured on agar dishes. Bug food.

I've seen several suspect (to me) hair care recipes lately calling for microbe feasts like that.. oatmeal, cornstarch, etc. Baffling.

Back