After 15 tries....a successful batch of CP!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I just made my first successful bath of CP soap after 15 failed attempts. If I weren’t so happy, I’d cry.

Anyway..here’s a peek.....tea tree oil and organic spearmint....

After 15teen attempts you derserve a medal, I have not made any as yet (still waitng on lye), I dont know if i could of kept going.
have just made my own laundry liquid soap, have to admit, its so simple a child could do it :wink: .

I have to ask...how did you make your own liquid laundry detergent? I have heard of people making their own powder but i have never heard of liquid being made! It sounds great!

SoapMom said:
I have to ask...how did you make your own liquid laundry detergent? I have heard of people making their own powder but i have never heard of liquid being made! It sounds great!

I make my own liquid laundry soap.... Everyone that I give some to loves it! I use;
1/2 cup Borax
1 cup washing soda
1/2 bar fels-naptha soap grated...

boil 4 cups water and stir in grated soap until disolved. Add that to 3 gallons (I use a 5 gal paint bucket) warm water. Stir in the Washing Soda, then the Borax. Stir every fifteen minutes until cool (this keeps it from clumping...) It works better than Tide in my opinion... Try it!

OK....what is washing soda....is that baking soda? And borax...is that the same stuff you can get in the laundry detergent section of the store? And what is bar fels-naptha soap grated? I have never heard of that? Sorry for the stupid questions....I really new to all this soapmaking stuff but I have to say I am totally addicted!!! Fixin to make some China Rain soap this afternoon!! Can't wait!!

Washing Soda is in the laundry soap aisle. It looks like a giant box of baking soda, it is made my Arm & Hammar. Borax is the stuff in the laundry aisle too (in my market they are right next to one another) Borateem is how some people know it. Fels-Naptha is a bar of laundry soap. Zote is another one. I have found it in the regular soap aisle in some markets and in the laundry detergent aisle in others...

Not stupid questions at all, actually they are all the questions I asked!

SoapMom said:

I make one similar to Pug Mom's laundry soap, but I use the ugly batches of my own CP soap in place of the Fels Naptha. I add a big spoonful of lye to the water before adding the soap to get rid of the superfatting. Yeah, it may turn out a bit lye heavy, but you're diluting it in a washing machine....not using it on skin.

I also add 1/4 - 1/2 cup vinegar to the rinse water to keep buildup away. :)

Edited twice now because my brain is cornmeal mush today.

Thanks for the info!! And thanks for not making me feel stupid too! I seem to do a great job of that all on my own! *lol* I'm certainly going to try it! It sounds great! Thanks again for sharing!!

Soapmommie: Congrats!! I started out making a few great batches but now it seems I'm going downhill with my other batches! *sigh* Somehow I have went off track! But I'm working to get back where I was! BTW, your soap looks great!!! Great work!!

Hi, I just made my first lot to day, have not used it as yet, as we are nearly snowed in and cant get to washroom.
I made a small amount as it is first time.

Half cup of washing soda
Half cup of grated detergant soap

You dont have to use borax it helps boost the soaps cleaning power and I have also read it lightens colours,

melted soap in a little hot water, added washing soda to the mix,
stirred till it was all disolved and the add five litres of hot water and some EO and stirred.
I have read that white vineger makes a great softner,some like to add EO to that as well for fragrance.
Dont use vineger if you have used any bleach as it can produce a poisonous Gas.
Everything I have just written I found on google by typing in homemade laundery detergents.
Will be trying this out as a kitchen floor cleaner and washing up liquid.

Soapmommie...I give you an "A" for determination. The soap looks great! I do CPHP because there is not much room for error.

Pug Mom, How much of your liquid laundry soap do you add to your laundry? I'm gonna give this a try. Store bought laundry soap is expensive!!!

Soapmommie said:
I just made my first successful bath of CP soap after 15 failed attempts. If I weren’t so happy, I’d cry.

Anyway..here’s a peek.....tea tree oil and organic spearmint....

ok, i messed up my first cp soap, and am discouraged, went back to HP!
I cant afford the supplies, hope i get it right next time!

Re: Cp

Soapmommie said:
Deda...that cat cracks me up.....like it's had waaaa-aaay too much coffee....
You can never have too much coffee!

When I see that cat dance I hear the music from the little guy from Six Flags. The one dancing in the tux with the cane and top hat?
I keep thinking I should change it cause it's so **** aggravating, but then I think.... mmmm, no.

Your soap looks great! I love love love my homemade laundry detergent I have done the liquid but my last batch I did dry and it works great. My hubby likes not having to spend$$$ on tide every wk.

Congrats! It looks great!! :) May I ask what went wrong the first 15 times? I'm getting ready to make my first batch, I could use some tips! :wink:

Back