African Sunset/annatto experiment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are amazing!

How do you get the carving so neatly done? They were free hand carved, or is there a tool??
Very inspirational.
I found some pictures on google, traced them from my computer screen onto some see through paper, put the paper on the soap and carved through the paper with a knife to get the outline on the soap. Then removed the paper and carved the outlined picture in the soap.

@HowieRoll yes, I really like the scent! It's a bit heavy on the lemongrass, but the balance of fresh and sweet is quite nice. I like most of the blends I find on EOcalc and I think it's a great idea to start a thread to share experiences with the eo blends[emoji16]

Thanks!

Wow! Just wow.

I am from South Africa and you did the landscape and animals 100% justice. I've tried soap carving and adding in soap dough and it isn't easy at all! Getting corners sharp and unrounded was a challenge. Do you have any tips? Again - I am amazed at your works of art!

Wow @Tracy von Elling that's a really big compliment! Thanks:)
I used a wood carving knive (but I think clay sculpting tools will also work, maybe even better) and filled the cutouts with fresh soap at emulsion. I think I had to use a chopstick to get the soap everywhere. Anyway, I remember not having to be very precise when filling the soap cutouts. I just poured it in and wiped any overflow off. The soap batter also had enough surface tension to stay in place on the edges.
I planed the soap before carving and filling and beveled afterwards. The details were too intricate to make deep cutouts. However, I did feel that deeper cutouts made it easier to fill.
Also, I used stencils for this that I made by looking up pictures and tracing over them with see through paper, then cutting through the paper.
Hope this helps!!

Wow @Tracy von Elling that's a really big compliment! Thanks:)
I used a wood carving knive (but I think clay sculpting tools will also work, maybe even better) and filled the cutouts with fresh soap at emulsion. I think I had to use a chopstick to get the soap everywhere. Anyway, I remember not having to be very precise when filling the soap cutouts. I just poured it in and wiped any overflow off. The soap batter also had enough surface tension to stay in place on the edges.
I planed the soap before carving and filling and beveled afterwards. The details were too intricate to make deep cutouts. However, I did feel that deeper cutouts made it easier to fill.
Also, I used stencils for this that I made by looking up pictures and tracing over them with see through paper, then cutting through the paper.
Hope this helps!!

Oh wow - thanks for this explanation. Such patience you have!
Maybe one day when I'm up to the challenge I will give it a try.

Back