African Black Soap question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godschild

Reaction score
I bought some African Black Soap from SC and it has some lil stick or shell looking pieces in it and I'm concerned that they may scratch people's skin up. Would it mess the soap up if I ground it up, melted it, and strained it to try to get that out or should I just try to squish it up and feel through it? Also, what percent of the ABS would you use per pound oils if you added it to a soap batch? Never used this before.

What do you do with yours? Do you just squish it into rounds/biscuits or do you add it to your soap batches? Help! The Pieces it came in really aren't sized where they can be cut into bars.

I've not bought it in bulk before but I would just form it into balls or ovals and use as is. The soap I did buy had bits of plants or burned plantain skins in it, I just picked them out as I used the soap.
I wouldn't try to melt it, it would never get thin enough to strain. If you sell, just make sure to make a note on the label that it may contain inert organic materials that could be scratchy and to be cautious. I wouldn't want it mixed with other soap, if I by ABS, I want the real stuff, not something diluted.

To use African Black soap it is best to pinch off a piece and feel for any sharp debris. I personally dislike it and do not find anything magical with it. At one time I sold it and had a large warning that it could contain hard inert material, which was part of my decision to quit selling it. Just did not find it worth the risk. My own soap is much nicer! ABS varies greatly depending on which tribe makes it

Guys, is it okay if I use freshly made charcoal? Let's just say I burn some woods and grind the charcoal finely and use for soaping process.

I wish I could help you mymy but I have no idea if you can use that or not. I bought this because I just don't have the time to make any myself and wanted some on my table. I may make some one day but it won't be any time soon with so many other things I'm trying to get made. :)

I wish I could help you mymy but I have no idea if you can use that or not. I bought this because I just don't have the time to make any myself and wanted some on my table. I may make some one day but it won't be any time soon with so many other things I'm trying to get made. :)

Activated charcoal is quite expensive around here. It costs more than 10bucks for 10g.

I see. Grinded fresh charcoal is a no no?

Extra tips that I got from my great grandmother, she says charcoal has been used for ages as toothpaste. It helps to strengthen and whiten teeth. Interesting.

Back