Advice on when to unmold frozen soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachael

Reaction score
Hi all,

I made a goat's milk, oatmeal, and honey soap on a whim yesterday before bed. This is my first ever milk soap, and following advice I've read on the 'net, I popped it in the freezer after pouring. I checked on it this morning and it looks great!! It's in individual ~4oz rectangular molds. It's been in about 9 hours now.

I messed up the pour on one of them so I thought heck "I've got nothing to lose" and unmolded just that one as a test, being frozen it was definitely hard enough to unmold but I don't dare do it with the rest.

I've heard advice from: 24 hours in the freezer, freezer overnight then move to fridge to avoid it "sweating", overnight is fine then let it come to room temp, etc and there doesn't seem to be a rule of thumb. Right now the bars look PERFECT- I love the color and shape and there doesn't seem to be partial gel. I'm scared of messing it up now. :)

What have you all tried for milk soaps, has a certain technique worked best for you?

Also forgive the question as I am a newbie, freezing slows down the saponification process, does it have any effect on how long it takes to achieve a fully cured bar of soap or anything else?

Thank you!

I have had partial gel happen if I removed the soap from the freezer too soon. I usually let it set in the freezer for a couple of days. I take it out of the freezer and let it set in the counter for several hours before popping it out of the mold. I usually make milk soap in loaf molds.

I have had partial gel happen if I removed the soap from the freezer too soon.

I was wondering about this!!!! I have had this happen to me too but wasn't sure it was really a thing or just my thinking it was. thanks for posting this

I have had partial gel happen if I removed the soap from the freezer too soon. I usually let it set in the freezer for a couple of days. I take it out of the freezer and let it set in the counter for several hours before popping it out of the mold. I usually make milk soap in loaf molds.

Thank you!! If not for this I may have gotten impatient and removed it too soon.

Latest posts

Back