Advice On Shea/Aloe Please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chalk Creek

Reaction score
Hi. Just got my first tub of Shea/Aloe butter from WSP. Had planned to add an oil and EO and whip it. BUT, it feels so nice as it is, very smooth and creamy, not greasy on the skin, just the consistency I like. Has anyone used it without adding an oil? Also wondering if I can blend in an EO without remelting?

Any advice/insights would be great. What a profit maker this would be if my only time involved is blending in a frgagrance and filling jars! $$

Whenever I get my Shea it is pretty lumpy and not very usable. I have to melt mine, or I can't do anything with it. So maybe you got lucky with yours. Let me know how it goes

Well, this is shea with aloe vera juice blended in. They did a really nice job blending it, extremely smooth and even, just beautiful, feels whipped. Not sure I'm going to improve it any by adding an oil.

Here ya go. As you can see, it's very creamy.

In the tub:
shea.jpg

shea2.jpg

Scooped some out on my finger:
shea3.jpg

Would aloe juice go bad though- would you need a preservative there? I looked at WSP and the only ingredients I saw listed were the shea and aloe juice? :?

Update: I blended in eo's put in 2 oz jars. I didn't melt it to add eo, just blended it well. It is heavenly, I love this stuff. It has a powdery smooth feel on my skin and is too easy. Can't wait to get this in front of the customers.

Go to their web site and check, but the aloe is not juice, but a aloe butter they blend with shea butter. You can buy aloe butter from several sources. I've had samples from a couple suppliers of aloe butter. Aloe vera juice would not blend with a butter like shea without an emulsifier. Check it out.

ETA: I just cut this description of how aloe butter is produced from the "From Nature With Love" web site;

Aloe Butter is an extraction of Aloe Vera using a fatty coconut fraction to produce a soft-solid which melts on contact with the skin. It aids in rapid hydration of dry skin caused by eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, sun burn, wind burn, and general chapping. Aloe butter is suitable for a variety of skin care applications including use in lotions, soaps, skin creams and lip balms. Use it to enhance moisturization and to include the properties of aloe in your formulations. Use aloe butter at 3-5% in lotions, creams, soaps, body balms, hair balms, bath bombs and lip balms. It can also be enjoyed "as is."

INCI Nomenclature: Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil and Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract
Shelf Life: 1 - 2 Years
NAOH SAP Value: .176 (converted to ounces)
KOH SAP Value: .247 (converted to ounces)

Paul.... :) :wink:

Thanks Paul- I had aloe juice on the mind for some reason- your right I probably would need an emulsifier- this is why I stick to making butter! :lol:

This butter looks delicious and healing!
I think I'm in love with it and haven't even tried it yet!

leansoapqueen said:
Thanks Paul- I had aloe juice on the mind for some reason- your right I probably would need an emulsifier- this is why I stick to making butter! :lol:

This butter looks delicious and healing!
I think I'm in love with it and haven't even tried it yet!

Yea, I really liked the samples I got too! Don't ask me why I have not ordered some though? :? It would blend very well into other firmer butters and make great creams or a nice whipped butter! OK, now I must order some..... :lol:

Paul.... :wink:

Leana, let me know what you think when you get yours and I'd like to know what you decide to do with it.
Thanks

Hey! I just got some yesterday and it is wonderful just as it is. I just added fragrance and left it. It's so creamy. I am going to experiment a little with it, add a little cocoa butter and oil. I love this stuff!!!!

Back