Advice on new mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubli

Reaction score
I am considering getting the bramble berry 9 bar slab mold with dividers. I added a link to it, I hope it shows up. http://www.brambleberry.com/mobile/9-Bar-Unfinished-Birchwood-Mold-P5169.aspx

I never do batches over 2 pounds of oils, I don't sell, I just make mainly for me shampoo/body soap, tooth soap, grated laundry soap and dish soap bars. I am asking those who actually have used it what they REALLY think about ease of use, durability, can you cpop, and WITHOUT cpop'ing does this mold set up gel fairly easy? I want my soap to gel and I have been making soap with 2% beeswax so I have been combining oils and lye at around 120-125. Also I see a few different option with lining the mold; silicone liner, lining with paper only, lining with paper and using the bottom liner that is made of same material as the dividers. Which option works well for you? Please help me with this. I value you guys experience and knowledge so much. You have already kept me from making a few costly mistakes thus far. I just don't want to pay that much for a mold that's a pain in the rear, on the other hand I will pay at least one arm for a darn good mold.

It is hard to say if you will like it or not. I found the dividers pesky to remove and did not like the shape of the bars, but I do sell so that can make a big difference. I always lined the inside with butcher paper, but when I purchased it several yrs ago there were no other options. The advantage is you can use it for bars or a flat slab.

Cmzaha thanks. Over all though, is it a good quality craftsmanship and built to last. It looks constructed well on the site. I probably make 2 pounds(32 oz oils)of a month. The shape of the cavities looks more like a "chunk" of soap rather than like a "Texas toast" type slice, is that right?

You might want to check with BB if you can CPOP with that one. I have their 2lb rectangular wooden mold, and they advise against CPOP with it. Apparently, they use some glue on their wooden molds that can release in an oven. I've been eyeing the same one you're looking at too... I'm firmly in the silicon liner camp - due to extreme laziness. :)

I really like my 9 bar mold. The dividers can be tricky but worth it. I haven't had any issues getting soap to gel in the mold. The cover helps alot and I still soap cool sometimes and use a heating pad to force gel. I don't know about the cpop I did that once in silicone and had bubbles form. Often I don't gel in this mold and can still easily unmold at 24 hrs. I think the recommendations on the bb site for how long to leave soap are a bit ridiculous. I dont have the silicone liner for this mold. I like lining molds, I find it relaxing.

Very helpful, thanks. I had thought about a heating pad, though haven't tried it yet. About that, would I need the larger pad or standard size? I notice they make long size now, its been years sense I used one.

Good point about the glue snappyllama, thanks. Don't tell anyone, but I'm kind of lazy too ;)

Latest posts

Back