Advice on making soap look like this...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! I am an intermediate cold process soap maker. I have done a lot of color swirls using micas, cocoa powder, etc. I am wanting to create more natural looking soaps, using things like rosehip powder and different botanical powders to create colorations. Below is a photo of a bar of soap that I think is very attractive. Does anyone have expertise on how to achieve something similar to this? Thanks in advance...
Candace

Attachments

• sandalwoodsoap.png
    sandalwoodsoap.png
    288.9 KB · Views: 70
It looks similar to a marble soap - soap made with a goal to resemble marble stone. I am sure it can be created in other ways as well, but since that is what came to mind, I'll link you to a soap challenge we did here at SMF that can give you some ideas as to how to get similar results. The thread includes links to videos

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...0-challenge-marble-stone-inspired-soap.80781/
But it also looks like it was created via HP, based on the top surface of the soap, so it was probably a very fluid batter and the colorant was mixed in just before the pour and just sort of partially mixed and immediately poured. There are other possibilities, too, but that would probably be the easiest way to achieve a similar look bit it HP or CP.

I'm with earlene. Looks like a great opportunity to add some swirling into HP soap, during rebatching, or at least at very thick trace. The rough texture is very decorative, but difficult to obtain with a batter that is so fluid that you would “pour” it, not “glop”.

And browsing through soap challenge archives is always a great idea, to get inspired or just be astonished what all is possible with soap.

I am an intermediate cold process soap maker
I first misread this, and thought I have missed whatever should be “intermediate cold” about a soap process 🤣

Hmmm, I don't do HP soap. So do you think that something similar could be achieved by adding the botanical powders to the pot, partially swirling them in the pot, and then pouring into the mold?

A lot of good video in that link. One I saw (don't remember who it was), used a medium to thick trace...one they could spoon in without it running and a tea strainer. They spooned in a few glops, then covered everything with their colorant, then a few more glops here and there, more colorant, more glops.

Rosehip powder is trippy! When you cut it, the loaf has a "rind" that is a darker color. Over the next few hours the color moves inward until it is all the same color.

Latest posts

Back