Advice on how to go about getting oil out of this container?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen74

Reaction score
I just bought this palm oil and it's solid in the jug. I'm not going to use it all so just wondering which way is best to get it out? I thoughts about cutting the top of the bottle off in order to get what I need out and just using what I need now and putting the rest in a tightly sealed container and put it in my fridge. What are your thoughts?

Hi Jen! With solid oils that come in jugs, I do exactly what you were thinking of doing...... I cut the top of the jug off with a utility knife and transfer the contents into a clean bucket with a cover (I save my used lard buckets for such a purpose).

IrishLass :)

I just bought this palm oil and it's solid in the jug. I'm not going to use it all so just wondering which way is best to get it out? I thoughts about cutting the top of the bottle off in order to get what I need out and just using what I need now and putting the rest in a tightly sealed container and put it in my fridge. What are your thoughts?
Is it no-stir palm, or the regular stuff? If it's regular, I'd advise you put it in hot water to melt it, mix it completely, and then pour it out to measure it. You will have to melt and mix it each time you measure some out, unless you go ahead and measure out portions for future batches into individual containers.

If it's the no-stir variety, then just do what IrishLass suggested. That one doesn't have to be melted every time like the regular palm oil does.

Melting a large jug can take awhile, so I would melt it once, shake it well and then pour into smaller containers that will make it easier/faster to get the oil melted. I used repurposed buckets and canning jars.

Last edited:
I use a no-stir palm shortening that is easy to re-package because it's scoopable. Is the palm you purchased like that? If it is, cutting the jug open might be the fastest route.

Melting in a hot water bath works for jugs; I've done that, too. Just be very careful not to let the jug fall over on it's side. Oil leaks out into the water when it starts to melt.

So when I go that route, I put the jug into a bucket in which it has little wiggle room, then the bucket into my sink, then fill both with very hot water.

Back when my palm oil came in a jug, I put it upside down in a bucket of hot water. That way, the top of the jug contained the melted oil, not the bottom. When you open it, the melted oil is at the top, so I didn't need to melt the entire contents.

Back when my palm oil came in a jug, I put it upside down in a bucket of hot water. That way, the top of the jug contained the melted oil, not the bottom. When you open it, the melted oil is at the top, so I didn't need to melt the entire contents.
That only works for the no-stir kind, though. Regular palm oil has to be melted and mixed every time it's used due to the heavier components sinking to the bottom as it cools. If you used that trick with regular palm oil, your fatty acid profile would be a little different each time you used it.

Latest posts

Back