Advice on CP formulation for super hard water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey friends! I've read through all the previous posts on formulations with chelators and the various discussions on laundry formulations. I'm excited about an upcoming trip to stay in a cabin that has exceptionally hard water. Our last visit, my delightful CP soaps were completely ineffective to the extent that we ended up using the pre-packaged commercial syndets provided by the cabin owner. :shakinghead:

I'd like to plan ahead and make some soaps for us to use during our trip. I have plenty of time to iterate on a formula for hard water, but i don't have a very good way to test the effectiveness. I've already prepared my standard CP formulation with 3% sodium citrate. I can make some EDTA versions as well and then see what works best when we get there. Last visit, I did notice that soaps with cocoa butter seemed to perform much better than those without or those with high oleic acids.

Any advice from those of you with really hard water would be appreciated. FWIW, I suspect this water is >>180 mg/L, I grew up with really hard water and this was like nothing I had experienced.

TIA

Have you thought about using a water softener? I like Liquid Calgon.
The owner provides some softening for the laundry and the dish washing. I was primarily concerned about soap for personal use. And as you can probably tell, i don't own this cabin so the most reasonable solutions like a whole house softener aren't options.

Back