Advice on Body Butter Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristaY

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that's going through Efudex dermalogic therapy and she asked me to make a lotion for her face. After lots of reading and talking to her about what the doc suggested, I decided on an anhydrous body butter. Basically the doc just said "keep it moist". I asked her specifically if she has any allergies to latex, avocados, or any of the other ingredients I've listed and she doesn't. Also, I have EO/FO listed at the end so I'll leave that out for her. I'd prefer to use Meadowfoam in place of the Jojoba and/or SAO but I don't have any at the moment. I'd love any opinions about the recipe before I make it. TIA!

60% Shea butter
5% Avocado butter
5% Cocoa butter
5% Mango butter
10% Jojoba oil
12% SAO
1% Vit E
1% Corn starch
1% EO/FO

ETA: Even though it's anhydrous, would you use a preservative? I have liquid Germall Plus on hand.

Last edited:
I'm still not hip to all these abbreviations. What is SAO? I'm not an expert or anything but that recipes looks pretty good to me. I've never added cornstarch to body butter before so I might give that a try sometime (thank you) but unless there's going to be a constant dipping of sopping wet hands into the butter, I'm failing to see why you would want to add a preservative. The vitamin E oil is a good choice to control rancidity but to my knowledge, most of the ingredients have good shelf lives.

I'm still not hip to all these abbreviations. What is SAO? I'm not an expert or anything but that recipes looks pretty good to me. I've never added cornstarch to body butter before so I might give that a try sometime (thank you) but unless there's going to be a constant dipping of sopping wet hands into the butter, I'm failing to see why you would want to add a preservative. The vitamin E oil is a good choice to control rancidity but to my knowledge, most of the ingredients have good shelf lives.

SAO is sweet almond oil. The corn starch is to help reduce the greasy feel of the butter. And you're right about the wet hands. Since I don't know if her hands are going to be really dry before dipping into the butter, it may not end up totally anhydrous, lol. I might include some little scooper or spatula to take the butter out of the jar before she puts it on her fingers. I'm a bit paranoid about bacterial growth so I guess that's why I'm thinking of adding the preservative. :)

Latest posts

Back