Advice needed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonya C

Reaction score
I'm new to soap making and I'm not sure what to do about this batch of CP soap I made. I was making a 2lb batch of coffee soap and everything was going great until I added the fragrance oil. I brought the batch to light trace, added the brewed and dried coffee grounds and the fragrance oil and it seized immediately. I used a whisk to try to blend the FO as best I could and plopped it in my loaf mold. It was a gloppy mess and some oil rested on top ;( I let it sit for 36 hours or so and released it from the mold. I had some pooling of oil on the bottom. I cut it and it has been sitting for two days. It just doesn't look that great and I was considering trying to re-batch it so get a better look. Any suggestions??? Do I have to let the soap cure for 4-6 weeks before grating it and re-batching it? Do I need to let it cure after re-batching it? Like i said I'm brand new and I'm a little confused about re-batching:) Thanks in advance!!
The recipe I used:
6.5oz palm oil
6.5oz coconut oil
7.5oz olive oil
1oz castor oil
7oz distilled water
3.1oz lye
1oz coffee scented fragrance oil
1Tbs brewed, dried coffee grounds

Can't upload image. See link
https://imgur.com/a/kHaKHz6

I would google re-batching and looking at you tube videos.
Also search here for Re-batching, there are numerous threads about it and also about adding the FO last if you are doing no other colors.
I would also try making some soap with out any additives and see how it goes, then add additives and no FO, or no additives and an FO.

I would google re-batching and looking at you tube videos.
Also search here for Re-batching, there are numerous threads about it and also about adding the FO last if you are doing no other colors.
I would also try making some soap with out any additives and see how it goes, then add additives and no FO, or no additives and an FO.
Thank you! I have read some things about re-batching I just didn't know if I needed to wait a few weeks or can I do it now.

Where did you get the FO? Is it soap safe?

If you used a soap-safe FO, I'd just set the soap aside and let it age 6 weeks, then try it out. IMO, you are usually better off making a new batch vs trying to "save" an ugly batch.

If you used an FO that isn't soap safe, then chunk the whole thing. Sorry. :(

But if you are DEAD SET on rebatching, it's not complicated, just a hassle. While wearing gloves (dishgloves are great), grate the soap with a cheese grater or chop it into bits. Put in a slowcooker on low and let it melt down. It's actually easier to rebatch fresh soap rather than old, dry soap.

Another option is confetti soap. chop the soap into chunks or grate it, then mix it with new soap batter, somewhat less than 50% of soap shreds vs new soap. (this is not an exact science.) Mix with new soap batter until shreds/chunks/bits are well coated with soap batter, then pour into a mold. Close your eyes and smack the mold on the counter a few times to make sure it is settled into the mold.

ETA: Post a pic. if you had just a little oil separate out, you're fine, but if it was too much you may need to add more oil.

I would just cut it or grate it up then throw it in a crockpot add a small amount of water if needed. It's pretty easy. Once pretty fluid (still gloppy), zap test it and mold it. Are you using CP safe FO?

You can do it now but be warned, rebatch rarely looks better. I think your soap looks nice, I like the subtle colors.
As long as it doesn't zap or fall apart from the big holes, I would leave it as is.

Where did you get the FO? Is it soap safe?

If you used a soap-safe FO, I'd just set the soap aside and let it age 6 weeks, then try it out. IMO, you are usually better off making a new batch vs trying to "save" an ugly batch.

If you used an FO that isn't soap safe, then chunk the whole thing. Sorry. :(

But if you are DEAD SET on rebatching, it's not complicated, just a hassle. While wearing gloves (dishgloves are great), grate the soap with a cheese grater or chop it into bits. Put in a slowcooker on low and let it melt down. It's actually easier to rebatch fresh soap rather than old, dry soap.

Another option is confetti soap. chop the soap into chunks or grate it, then mix it with new soap batter, somewhat less than 50% of soap shreds vs new soap. (this is not an exact science.) Mix with new soap batter until shreds/chunks/bits are well coated with soap batter, then pour into a mold. Close your eyes and smack the mold on the counter a few times to make sure it is settled into the mold.

ETA: Post a pic. if you had just a little oil separate out, you're fine, but if it was too much you may need to add more oil.
Thanks! The FO is definitely soap safe. I did post a link to a picture of my soap.

I would just cut it or grate it up then throw it in a crockpot add a small amount of water if needed. It's pretty easy. Once pretty fluid (still gloppy), zap test it and mold it. Are you using CP safe FO?

Thanks! The FO is soap safe. I contacted the seller & explained what happened & she said that particular FO can be difficult to work with & she is sending me another oil that is easier to use in CP soap. She was very apologetic & nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Missed the pic the first time, sorry! I personally wouldn't rebatch that. Set it aside. If the cracks really bother you, you could smoosh into soap balls, or smush them into molds. (again, gloved hands! New soap is very harsh and drying.)

You can do it now but be warned, rebatch rarely looks better. I think your soap looks nice, I like the subtle colors.
As long as it doesn't zap or fall apart from the big holes, I would leave it as is.
Thank you for your sweet comment! It doesn't zap & since i'm so new to this, I wasn't planning on giving it to anyone. Until I feel a little more comfortable with this new adventure I plan on keeping it for personal use.

They are pretty as they are and sound like with a nice cure, they should be fine.

To upload an image, there are so many different icons to choose from, you may have picked the wrong one. But try this:

To use an image from a hosted site such as imgur (I am using yours), choose the image icon that looks like mountain (yellow arrow in below picture), then enter the image link from your image host (red arrow in below picture), then click insert:

Add image 3rd party.JPG

After clicking Insert, this is what you get in your post:

2PncVQF.jpg

That is the 3rd party hosting method, in which you first save your photo to an online image hosting site. The one problem you can run into with attaching an image directly (another method) is that if your image is too large, it won't upload, hense the benefit of image hosting sites. They often save images in a reduced size format suitable for posting to social media and forum, etc.

Thank you for your sweet comment! It doesn't zap & since i'm so new to this, I wasn't planning on giving it to anyone. Until I feel a little more comfortable with this new adventure I plan on keeping it for personal use.

When I first started out, I was always ready to rebatch any soap that wasn't "perfect".

What I ended up with was even uglier soap I was unhappy with or had even more issues then it started with.
I threw out a lot until I learned to embrace the imperfections.

Now I will only rebatch to fix a problem like lye heavy or separated soap, never just a cosmetic issue.

Enjoy your soap, its lovely and you made it! If you get seize again, wrap your bowl in a towel and wait for it to gel, then mold it up. It will go into the mold easier that way.

I couldn't see the photo you posted. They aren't that bad at all. I would just leave them be unless as stated there is a lot of excess oils or it's zappy. I am one who will not rebatch ever. I'll shred or chunk but if that can't be done, I just toss it.

They are pretty as they are and sound like with a nice cure, they should be fine.

To upload an image, there are so many different icons to choose from, you may have picked the wrong one. But try this:

To use an image from a hosted site such as imgur (I am using yours), choose the image icon that looks like mountain (yellow arrow in below picture), then enter the image link from your image host (red arrow in below picture), then click insert:

View attachment 31245

After clicking Insert, this is what you get in your post:

2PncVQF.jpg

That is the 3rd party hosting method, in which you first save your photo to an online image hosting site. The one problem you can run into with attaching an image directly (another method) is that if your image is too large, it won't upload, hense the benefit of image hosting sites. They often save images in a reduced size format suitable for posting to social media and forum, etc.
Thank you sooooo much!!! :)

When I first started out, I was always ready to rebatch any soap that wasn't "perfect".

What I ended up with was even uglier soap I was unhappy with or had even more issues then it started with.
I threw out a lot until I learned to embrace the imperfections.

Now I will only rebatch to fix a problem like lye heavy or separated soap, never just a cosmetic issue.

Enjoy your soap, its lovely and you made it! If you get seize again, wrap your bowl in a towel and wait for it to gel, then mold it up. It will go into the mold easier that way.
Thanks so much!! Everyone on this site has been so kind and helpful :)

Thanks! I really appreciate you all taking the time to help out a newbie:) I've decided to keep this batch and see how it is in 6 weeks or so.

I'm new to soap making and I'm not sure what to do about this batch of CP soap I made. I was making a 2lb batch of coffee soap and everything was going great until I added the fragrance oil. I brought the batch to light trace, added the brewed and dried coffee grounds and the fragrance oil and it seized immediately. I used a whisk to try to blend the FO as best I could and plopped it in my loaf mold. It was a gloppy mess and some oil rested on top ;( I let it sit for 36 hours or so and released it from the mold. I had some pooling of oil on the bottom. I cut it and it has been sitting for two days. It just doesn't look that great and I was considering trying to re-batch it so get a better look. Any suggestions??? Do I have to let the soap cure for 4-6 weeks before grating it and re-batching it? Do I need to let it cure after re-batching it? Like i said I'm brand new and I'm a little confused about re-batching:) Thanks in advance!!
The recipe I used:
6.5oz palm oil
6.5oz coconut oil
7.5oz olive oil
1oz castor oil
7oz distilled water
3.1oz lye
1oz coffee scented fragrance oil
1Tbs brewed, dried coffee grounds

Can't upload image. See link
https://imgur.com/a/kHaKHz6

I'm too chicken to try CP....but I really like the way your soap looks !! Y'all are edging me closer and closer into trying.....if your "fail" looks that pretty, it gives me hope !!!!

Sandra, I was pretty nervous about it too! This coffee soap was my second batch of CP soap. My first batch was a really easy CP soap kit that I purchased from Brambleberry (beginners cold process soap kit) and it turned out beautiful. The CP soap kit from Brambleberry includes almost everything u need and has easy to follow instructions. I decided to use a fragrance oil from a different website for this coffee soap and it behaved badly in my batter (I've read this can happen with certain FO's) I just finished my third batch of soap with a pumpkin FO from the same website I bought the coffee one and it turned out perfect!!! I've learned that when u make soap u should be organized and have everything u need handy before u get started. Just do it!!! It's really rewarding and the folks on this page are amazing and helpful :)

Latest posts

Back