Advice needed! My candle keeps going out!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megan Brown

Reaction score
Hello! (Please see pics they may help work out the problem!)
I am new to candle making and made my first ever candle last week.
I have made it using soy wax and EOs (Myrhh, Cinnamon Bark and blood orange) and am very happy with the cold scent throw and also the hot. I have made these candles small to start with so I can trial them. They are in 30ml glass jars.
On the third evening of burning (last night) the candle suddenly went out (with a green flash!). I relit it and the flame was very weak and quickly went out. I believe the wax was putting the flame out... the wax seemed quite high. I poured some wax out, the candle stay lit for a bit longer and then went out again.
Why is this happening? I should definitely mention that my wick is a cotton wick coated in PARAFFIN wax and I am wondering whether this is the problem... the strange thing is that it's only started going out after it has reached half way down the jar. I have had no other issues the other two nights.
Any help would be amazing!

Attachments

• Photo on 2018-11-04 at 9.30 AM #2.jpg
    Photo on 2018-11-04 at 9.30 AM #2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Photo on 2018-11-04 at 9.30 AM.jpg
    Photo on 2018-11-04 at 9.30 AM.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Photo on 2018-11-04 at 9.31 AM.jpg
    Photo on 2018-11-04 at 9.31 AM.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 22
Welcome Megan, as this is your first post, would you like to go to the Intro section and tell us a bit about yourself and how you got into candles.

Sounds like it's drowning out from the wick being too big. try with a smaller wick.

What I do when trying something new, is to be completely basic, so you should try to go back and redo your candle starting from scratch. No scent, no dye, just jar, wick and wax. Once you know exactly how your candle is supposed to burn without any extras you can add your scent/dye one at a time. That why you will know exactly what you need to do, either wick up, down or leave it alone, as every scent with need it's unique combination. sometimes it's the same, sometimes not.

Latest posts

Back