Advice needed for slow trace

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the look of your recipe. Please let us know what you think of it after it cures. I don't know if clay affects trace time. I haven't used it enough to be able to say. I did use kaolin clay in a batch a couple of days ago. However, I used a temperamental FO which accelerated so quickly that it almost seized. Great scent but not one you really want to use for CP. It was BB's Sea Moss in case you ever want to try it. You might like the acceleration.

I've noticed in the past that batches thicken faster when I use cornstarch. I was using it as an EO anchor (still not sure if it actually works) and for a little silkier lather. You might want to try experimenting with it. I used it at 1 tsp ppo but you could try slightly more. If you find it helps, you could just use powdered sugar. It's made from sugar and cornstarch so you'd only have one ingredient to add instead of two. However, it might be more expensive as compared to using regular sugar and cornstarch. Another thought is to use honey which I've read quickens trace or try molasses. I don't know if it will help with a faster trace but it's concentrated sugar so you may not need to use much. It's certainly worth experimenting with to see if it helps. I've wanted to try molasses for a long time and just never get around to it. (The molasses ends up in cookies or pumpkin pie.) I've read you need to treat molasses like honey since it will also get hot. I have read that molasses will cause some discoloration. You might even consider trying blackstrap molasses since it's used as a health supplement because of the vitamins and minerals in it. It might be good for label appeal. (Now I've given myself an idea :lol: )

Well, I'm ready to unmold the batch with the clay, but it has cracked on the top. I think it will still be OK - it doesn't look like the crack is very deep. I've never had that happen, so haven't researched what causes this, but I do remember reading about it, so it must be common enough. Any input on what caused this? Was it TOO THICK when I molded? Did I maybe not insulate it enough initially in the mold / keep it warm enough? I'm sure it's easy enough for me to research and find out what the likely problem was.

I like the idea of experimenting with honey and this would be economical for me - my in laws keep bees and I have a pretty limitless supply of free honey! I've been meaning to try this.

Whenever I get a crack, it's because the soap has overheated either because I used a FO which got hot or I used an additive which got hot. Honey is notorious for heating up; also other sugar type additives. I don't know if something else would cause a crack or not. Maybe someone else would know. I don't worry about cracks if they're not deep.

Latest posts

Back