Advice for superfatting?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, lye attacks the protein in the dead skin on the surface of your skin (stratum corneum) and weakens that protective layer. The damaged bits of skin start to flake off pretty soon after exposure to lye. It might not even burn or redden the skin at the time, but if your fingertips feel sandpapery or rough after a soaping session, that's a hint that you might want to wear gloves when cleaning up as well as when actually soaping. It doesn't take much lye to cause this kind of damage -- just a trace of lye in your soapy dishwater can do it.

Thank you for that advice. I cannot tell you how grateful I am that you guysa re so willing to share your knowledge.

I wait to clean almost everything for several days so I'm just washing off soap residue instead of dealing with sticky batter that could burn me. I do clean my stick blender right away, because it's a pita if anything dries on it. The gloves stay on for that.

I wait to clean almost everything for several days so I'm just washing off soap residue instead of dealing with sticky batter that could burn me. I do clean my stick blender right away, because it's a pita if anything dries on it. The gloves stay on for that.

That's exactly what I do too. It's really not hard this way.

I did read this: whatever you do, NEVER pour or wash fresh soap down the drain. It isn't really sosp quite yet and it will clog your drain like mad. You don't want that!

I'm like Susie. Have to clean everything up and put away. I have a smaller home and try to keep my soaping stuff neatly put away when done. I just wipe excess batter out with a towel and let that sit a day or two or use paper towels.

Help me here. The cleaning orocess of soaps binds the soap with the oils and moisture on your skin and the bacteria on your skin. Would it superfat the soap not interfere with that?

Hi, this is an old post. Talking about tool clean up. After making soap. Looks like you want help with "superfat "? There's quite a depth of knowledge in the search engine here. Including "superfat ", it is a good starting point. If you do not find want you need. Start a new thread. It will get noticed better. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back