Advice Appreciated

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Cassie! Welcome to soap making! Whoop whoop! I'm also new to the art and science of soap making and love it! From one newbie to another, I have discovered that there are differing opinions on a few things that I would have thought was fundamental. Either that or I am not paying attention. ;) Temperature, for example. I have heard, read in so many places about allowing the oils and lye solution to cool to a certain temperature before mixing and I have found that information to be inconsistent. I have heard 110 degrees and I have found 'within' 10 degrees of each other, etc. I do make certain not to have a disparity in temp of either component of greater than 10-degrees before mixing, but I always mix my oils and lye solution at temperatures above 100 degrees and have had no problems. BUT, not much higher than 100 degrees. I do not go above 120 as one concern may be gelling (not in itself bad, but creates more translucency in the soap. Also, your essential oils may be weakened by too high of temps). So, in addition to paying attention to your choice of oils (hardness), keep the temperatures higher so that the mixture remains smoother, more workable. As a beginner, I would also refrain from using the more expensive, exotic oils and butters. I have found and confirmed by others who have done this much longer than I have that you can get very similar feel, effects, benefits from cheaper oils. In fact, since I do this as a hobby and not to sale, I rarely use butters such as cocoa or shea as they are more expensive and really unnecessary for my needs. I can get similar benefits from other, much cheaper oils. I have learned tons from the soaping community and watched hours of youtube videos, online sources and love how free and open (and creative!) the soaping community is. And don't get me started regarding the various HP methods there are! Happing soaping! Just my humble 2-cents.

Last edited:
Here is a link that might help you find the answer: http://www.boardofwatersupply.com/water-quality/water-quality-report

As far as taste of water and does that mean it's soft or hard, I just don't know if that always holds true. Water sold as 'purified water' for mixing baby formula has added minerals to improve taste. (I just read the label on one a couple of days ago.) The best tasting tap water I have ever tasted in all my travels is in Manhattan (New York City) and it is either soft/ slightly hard or moderately hard, depending on the source reservoir (there are two and sometimes the water is mixed in some pipes going to the customer; sometimes not mixed). So some hardness still tastes very good. Extremely hard water, doesn't usually taste good to me, though, so there is some truth to hard water not tasting good, but it's more about what minerals are actually in the water. As a point of interest, how NYC water is treated is really quite interesting: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/pdf/wsstate17.pdf
I checked and I'm pretty sure I have soft water. Thanks for the link!

My first thought would be false trace from soaping at 85F. Try things at 100F and see what happens.

As for the recipe, the biggest problem I have with it is the 10% superfat. Considering the fact that the lye we're all using is not 100% pure which drives up the superfat even more, your bars could be up to a fifth unsaponified fat. I would knock that down to at least 5% (calculated).

I don't think the third coconut oil is such a huge deal in a vegan soap like this one. In a balanced bar with more palmitic and stearic, yes I'd keep it to 20% or so. But in a bar that's mostly oleic like this one, 30% isn't out of bounds, I don't think. The extra bubbles help counteract the shea's lather dampening, too.

That said, if I were making this, I would tweak it a bit to decrease the soft oils and lower the combined oleic (avocado and olive) down to a total of about 30-35%, adding the balance in more shea. Something like 10% avocado, 20% olive, 30% coconut, 35% shea, and 5% castor.

Here's your recipe that I duplicated in soapcalc as close as I could for anybody else who needs percentages to think...
1 Avocado Oil 11.76%
2 Olive Oil 37.25 %
3 Coconut Oil, 76 deg 31.37 %
4 Castor Oil 4.90 %
5 Shea Butter 14.71 %
10% superfat
29% lye concentration

I assume there were some rounding errors since I went backwards and you probably planned whole percentages - which brings up another point. If you can manage it, conduct your soaping in grams instead of ounces. It's just more precise.
An update: I took your advice and increased the amount of shea butter, decreased the amount of olive oil and avocado oil, and soaped at around 100 degrees F and it worked great! I had plenty of time to play with colors. Thanks again!

Hi Cassie! Welcome to soap making! Whoop whoop! I'm also new to the art and science of soap making and love it! From one newbie to another, I have discovered that there are differing opinions on a few things that I would have thought was fundamental. Either that or I am not paying attention. ;) Temperature, for example. I have heard, read in so many places about allowing the oils and lye solution to cool to a certain temperature before mixing and I have found that information to be inconsistent. I have heard 110 degrees and I have found 'within' 10 degrees of each other, etc. I do make certain not to have a disparity in temp of either component of greater than 10-degrees before mixing, but I always mix my oils and lye solution at temperatures above 100 degrees and have had no problems. BUT, not much higher than 100 degrees. I do not go above 120 as one concern may be gelling (not in itself bad, but creates more translucency in the soap. Also, your essential oils may be weakened by too high of temps). So, in addition to paying attention to your choice of oils (hardness), keep the temperatures higher so that the mixture remains smoother, more workable. As a beginner, I would also refrain from using the more expensive, exotic oils and butters. I have found and confirmed by others who have done this much longer than I have that you can get very similar feel, effects, benefits from cheaper oils. In fact, since I do this as a hobby and not to sale, I rarely use butters such as cocoa or shea as they are more expensive and really unnecessary for my needs. I can get similar benefits from other, much cheaper oils. I have learned tons from the soaping community and watched hours of youtube videos, online sources and love how free and open (and creative!) the soaping community is. And don't get me started regarding the various HP methods there are! Happing soaping! Just my humble 2-cents.
Yeah I think the temperature really made a difference. I made a batch last night at around 100 degrees F and it was much easier to work with!

Latest posts

Back