Adventures in Bath Bombs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is what I’ve been busy with. I want to begin selling and hopefully will be selling in Spring markets. Decorated handmade bath bombs yesterday. Packaging today. The technique used to decorate makes use of mica and glitter mixed with 90% isopropyl alcohol. Bath bombs must be absolutely thoroughly dried. Various techniques. Flicking from the nozzle of a spray pump. Dripping from a pipette. Brushing with a pastry brush that is lightly loaded. Wrapping a doily and brushing the mica solution on with a pastry brush, and lastly soaking cotton string in the mica/alcohol solution and then wrapping around the bath bomb. Best part of making these is testing them out.

Attachments

• 8ED041D2-72BC-44DF-B11B-2AE040E226A7.jpeg
    8ED041D2-72BC-44DF-B11B-2AE040E226A7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • CD0BED47-2320-47AD-AD89-7FDE1472E35C.jpeg
    CD0BED47-2320-47AD-AD89-7FDE1472E35C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • AFDF30F2-B0DB-45F4-9E97-6C18EDDD06E9.jpeg
    AFDF30F2-B0DB-45F4-9E97-6C18EDDD06E9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • D9938808-4B73-45C3-B641-B3FA0C167F2E.jpeg
    D9938808-4B73-45C3-B641-B3FA0C167F2E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Wow, those look fantastic! I've been making more lately, as well, and starting to have fun with it as I get the process down a little more. I appreciate the tips for decorating them as that's the next thing I planned to attempt. :)

Wow, those look fantastic! I've been making more lately, as well, and starting to have fun with it as I get the process down a little more. I appreciate the tips for decorating them as that's the next thing I planned to attempt. :)
Make some space around the work area as the mica mixed with isopropyl alcohol tends to splash a bit. I used the HumbleBeeandme recipe for Winter Solstice bath bombs that adds the citric acid towards the end of mixing. Also added 20g each of kaolin clay, arrowroot starch, and SLSA NOTE these added amounts were for a double batch. Used 12-14 g witch hazel in the double batch. The SLSA will help the mica from sticking to the tub. IF adding the additional items you will need to increase the witch hazel from 4.8g to 6-7grams. Am enclosing a pic of no mica or dye added bombs. Also a pic of work in progress. Let me know if I can help with anything. Oh. I let each mica topper dry a bit before the next application. Madmicas.com is where all my micas are from. Pick up one of their mica dusters. Put mica in the duster…then add isopropyl alcohol. Then either squirt the liquid or load the squirted end a bit and flip the duster over the bombs. Once the duster had a bit of liquid loaded in the sprayer arm you will get a thinner stream of mica or dots. Hmmmm. This weekend will make a video. The hardest part is getting most of the mica on the bombs and not on the parchment paper underneath:/

Attachments

• 0EAB80E6-C5B3-464F-89F1-9837882DE4AE.jpeg
    0EAB80E6-C5B3-464F-89F1-9837882DE4AE.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • C35935E1-EA04-41E2-A1E5-82C3CA99F956.jpeg
    C35935E1-EA04-41E2-A1E5-82C3CA99F956.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 3521796A-D1C3-4404-80D5-681DFAB725C6.jpeg
    3521796A-D1C3-4404-80D5-681DFAB725C6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 3B0FE43C-58ED-408F-961C-5305EE4D0F52.jpeg
    3B0FE43C-58ED-408F-961C-5305EE4D0F52.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Was brainstorming ways to decorate bath bombs. A pliable wrapper that clings a bit with cut outs might be something to think about. Will take some time with some fabric scraps and see what can be created

Those look great, too! I recently made a batch of pure white bombs for a friend, and they were just beautiful (she said, not just me 😁). Thanks for recommending the mica pump - I do have one, but had forgotten about it, honestly.

Yes, I always add the citric acid last, too! My binder is a very small amount of water mixed with PS80 (and the FO or EO) - no alcohol or witch hazel. If the mix needs more moisture, I add a tiny bit more of the PS80-water mix. Never had any activation that way!

Right now during the humid winter we are having, my favorite recipe has SLSa, cornstarch, cream of tartar, and the afore-mentioned PS80. For me, the SLSa alone doesn't do a good enough job dispersing the color and scent on its own, but perhaps I don't use as much as you do? I've heard it can make the bombs sink if you use too much, but I don't know what "too much" would be.

Bath bombs are so dependent on local conditions and humidity, it can be hard to compare apples to apples!

Those look great, too! I recently made a batch of pure white bombs for a friend, and they were just beautiful (she said, not just me 😁). Thanks for recommending the mica pump - I do have one, but had forgotten about it, honestly.

Yes, I always add the citric acid last, too! My binder is a very small amount of water mixed with PS80 (and the FO or EO) - no alcohol or witch hazel. If the mix needs more moisture, I add a tiny bit more of the PS80-water mix. Never had any activation that way!

Right now during the humid winter we are having, my favorite recipe has SLSa, cornstarch, cream of tartar, and the afore-mentioned PS80. For me, the SLSa alone doesn't do a good enough job dispersing the color and scent on its own, but perhaps I don't use as much as you do? I've heard it can make the bombs sink if you use too much, but I don't know what "too much" would be.

Bath bombs are so dependent on local conditions and humidity, it can be hard to compare apples to apples!
@AliOop agree with you that bath bomb success depends on the environment of the maker. Have been testing to see if it is possible to lower the quantity of Polysorbate 80 or the SLSA and how it affects tub staining and oils dispersion. Will update forum in a few weeks with findings. I use both SLSA and PS 80 in all bath bomb recipes. The bit of suds from the surfactant seems nice with the foaming. However I do add the bomb in running water. Enjoy your weekend and much success with your bath bomb decorating.

@AliOop agree with you that bath bomb success depends on the environment of the maker. Have been testing to see if it is possible to lower the quantity of Polysorbate 80 or the SLSA and how it affects tub staining and oils dispersion. Will update forum in a few weeks with findings. I use both SLSA and PS 80 in all bath bomb recipes. The bit of suds from the surfactant seems nice with the foaming. However I do add the bomb in running water. Enjoy your weekend and much success with your bath bomb decorating.
Hi there! came across this thread and was wondering if you had an update?

Hi there! came across this thread and was wondering if you had an update?
Hello. Thanks for reminding me to post :) My tests/experiments indicate that reducing the polysorbate is not a good idea. Lowered amounts of PS80 resulted in tub detritus (rings of dark color) from bath bombs. I tested one recipe twice. The successful bombs were in a dark sage green shade with patchouli eo and they need every bit of PS80 called for in the recipe. I use HumbleBeeandme updated bath bomb recipe where the citric acid is added last to help reduce trigger w/liquids.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back