Advantages of Coconut Milk?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kansas Farm Girl

Reaction score
I have seen CM used as the water in soap. What is the advantage of using CM? I have several cans on hand of pure CM, it's the kind that is very thick, very little "water" in it and no additives. It makes the best "CM whipped cream". Is that the kind to put in soap?

Yep, that the kind you use. It makes the lather really creamy, its one of my favorite liquids to use.

I like creaminess to and creamy look it gives to soaps.
If it's full fat, make sure you account all the fat as SF and use lower SF in SoapCalc, otherwise you may end up with the soap that has really high SF%.
I use 50% of coconut milk in my recipe and usually use only 1-3% SF in SoapCalc.

Im also on the CM wagon. I love the creamy lather and soft feel of my skin afterwards, and it also doesn't tend to give off that 'baby spit up' smell that you can get with some animal milks..which is a major ++ for me :lol:

You stated that it has almost no liquid in it tho..are you sure its the milk and not the cream? You can use either of course, but there is a difference.. just as a heads up.

I use Goya brand which has no additives, especially Guar Gum.

Last edited:
Hi, I picked up a package of coconut milk and coconut cream. ( 2 different brands ) the funny thing is that the milk feels thicker than the cream version....

Which one would be best to use?

Brand: Go-Tan
Coconut Milk 100% natural no additives
18% coconut fat ( mentioned in bold letters )
Ingredients: Coconut Extract 75% , Water

Brand: Kara
UHT Natural coconut cream
Ingredients: Fresh natural coconut cream (99,9%) , Stabilizers ( Xanthan Gum E415, Guar Gum E412, Carrageenan E407 )

Which one of these 2 brands would be best to use? I think the Go-Tan milk would be best as it has no additives?

Thank you
Chrisje

You stated that it has almost no liquid in it tho..are you sure its the milk and not the cream? You can use either of course, but there is a difference.. just as a heads up.

I use Goya brand which has no additives, especially Guar Gum.

I double checked and I have Golden Star Coconut Milk out of Thailand. Ingredients: coconut milk, water. Total fat: 22g, or 22% of the daily recommended value, 20g from saturated fat, 0 from trans fat. I know this one makes a better whipped cream substitute than the others I have used that I have to pour 1/2 a can of water off before I can use it. I pick it up at Walmart for about $1 when they have it, which is not often.

Thanks for everyone's input. I believe I will try a batch using 50/50 and see how I like that. From what everyone is saying, though, I think I will love it.
http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Hi, I picked up a package of coconut milk and coconut cream. ( 2 different brands ) the funny thing is that the milk feels thicker than the cream version....

Which one would be best to use?

Brand: Go-Tan
Coconut Milk 100% natural no additives
18% coconut fat ( mentioned in bold letters )
Ingredients: Coconut Extract 75% , Water

Brand: Kara
UHT Natural coconut cream
Ingredients: Fresh natural coconut cream (99,9%) , Stabilizers ( Xanthan Gum E415, Guar Gum E412, Carrageenan E407 )

Which one of these 2 brands would be best to use? I think the Go-Tan milk would be best as it has no additives?

Thank you
Chrisje

Sorry I missed this one...

I'd go with the Go-Tan ;) I dont use any CM that has Guar Gum in it.

In Philippines we make our fresh coconut milk almost every time but over here in UK i get lazy and I never did.

Back