Advantage to Fragrances with high vanilla content?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Confused_Penguin

Reaction score
This is my first post here and I am still familiarizing myself with the site so I profoundly apologize if this question has been asked before but I really need help :oops:

I'm using cold process method. Today I made a 4 lb batch using 2.8 ounces of fragrance oil that had a 7% vanilla content. After mixing everything together, I split the batch into two pounds because I wanted one of them to have a white color and the other one a dark chocolate color. For the white batch I added 1.4 ounces of vanilla color stabilizer and a few tablespoons of titanium dioxide (my recipe is high in olive oil which takes a while to lighten up). For the darker color, I did NOT add any vanilla color stabilizer. Instead, I mixed black and brick red oxides to create a chocolate color, that is not too dark because I know that the vanilla might darken it even more. I alternated layering white and chocolate color for my soap.

Now here is my question and I hope you guys can answer <3

Since I added dark colors to half of my batch, which had no vanilla color stabalizer, will that section of the soap actually turn DARKER due to the vanilla? Did adding the brick/black oxide make a difference in enhancing colors or will it just fade away and turn to whatever the vanilla wants it to turn? Will the soap turn to a lighter shade of brown even though I added the black/red oxide?

I was aiming for a dark chocolate color. I'm just afraid the the vanilla might make the already darken color somewhat lighter brown instead of the dark brown I want. Please help? Thank you

The vanilla will definitely not lighten any color you have added. It may darken it, but at 7% it will probably not go black. Your light colored part may or may not stay light. Vanilla stabilizer is a tricky beast in my experience.

The vanilla containing soap withouth stabilizer but colored will probably darken not lighten your soap. The portion with Vanilla Stabilizer could darken. I've found most times if the FO has a high content (over 4%) it will still darken up over time. Also, make sure you mix your FO with the stabilizer before adding it to your batter. They shoudl be blended together first. I've not had a whole lot of luck with VS stating super light/white over a long time.

VS is a waste of money me thinks. you gotta use it as much as the fo for it to have an effect. i've made my peace with vanilla a long time ago. if i want a white vanilla soap, i just use vanilla pods mixed to the batter. technically, i can still call it vanilla soap, but of course the scent is not there :p

i've not tried vanilla absolute. it's too pricey for me.

Vanilla stabilizer is made for MP, and works rather well in that application. (Not 100 percent, but it holds the brown gremlins at bay.) In CP, it's touch and go. Part of the fun of soaping is working with the natural discoloration your ingredients or FOs cause. A BIG part of the non-fun is being unable to predict these, especially when it comes to color-color, as opposed to white/ivory/beige/brown.
Still, I fear you will end up with an entirely brown soap. Not what you were expecting or planned for, perhaps, but I'll bet no one will notice and they'll be delighted with the result.

It really would have been best to seperate out the batter and not fragranced the portion you wanted to stay light. A few tbs of TD in approx 2 lbs is a lot of TD. TD can cause a soap to become dry and brittle if used in excess. I agree that VS is a waste of money. As Seven mentioned, make peace with the vanilla and learn to work with it. Also adding more dark color to a batch that will go dark from vanilla is going to run a lot of color when you use the soap. High vanilla dark soaps are messy with no additional color added.

VCS seems to be a double edge sword when being used. I really like the smell of baked goods such as fudge/chocolate/bubble gum, and some of the fragrances do contain a percentage of Vanilla. I do understand using it to our advantage but at the same time I don't want to be limited to the fragrances due to the vanilla.

For all of you guys who replied, thank you so much for all your help! You guys truly made me feel welcomed here. Thank you again!

Latest posts

Back