adulterated olive oil!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emi

Reaction score
Dear Soapers,

I learned several years ago that many brands of olive oils out there are in fact fraudulently labeled "extra-virgin" or not even all olive oil, often cut with cheaper oils. The fraud spreads through domestic and imported Italian olive oils too. If you don't already know about it here's a link to one of the many articles out there on the subject, https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/olive-foil/. After I did some online research, first of all trying to find brands that are 100% EVOO followed by price and taste, I've settled on always getting California Olive Ranch Extra Virgin Olive Oil for my cooking as well as uncooked in salad dressings and such, at approx $13/lb. But in the soaping world, I'm reading that extra virgin is not necessary and maybe a food grade EVOO is a bit of a waste to use in soap making. I've learned that most soapers buy "Grade A olive oil" or "Pomace olive oil" in bulk. I'm very weary of buying olive oil that isn't actually 100% olive oil because that would severely mess up the calculated recipe. Any thoughts on Costco brand "Kirklands Signature Olive oil"? The Soapqueen's article on olive oil, https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/tips-and-tricks/olive-oils-created-equally/ was very interesting and proved what I already knew, and said the best source was bramble berry (of course;)) but mentioned that she used bulk oils from Costco and Sam's Club which have several brands. What are your experiences and suggestions regarding types of olive oil and brands that have worked for you?

Also, out of all the luxury oils (and/or additives), which are your favorite for producing a super luxurious moisturizing bar?

I'd appreciate and guidance! Thank you! -emi

I have been using Costco Olive oil for 8 years for soap and longer for cooking. It’s delicious and works great for soap. I’ve heard it’s one that is not adulterated.

I don’t like high OO soap though so also use Rice a Bran and more recently sunflower.

I sometimes use rice bran oil instead of olive. Soap making porperties are very similar.

I very rarely use imported oil, after soaping with some adulterated olive oil about 15 years ago. There are still countries that are more prone to providing adulterated olive oil, even now.

I am fortunate in Australia for two reasons - we have a really strong olive oil industry here, so there is local supply and imported oils are tested.

I like soaping with cold press olive oil. EVOO soaps have a distinctive character that isn't there in the non-EVOO olive soaps.

I like using castor oil as my "luxury" oil. It seems to add something that I can't get from other oils. I've used pomace before. It is from the last pressing and to me it traces quicker than EVOO. I had been using this from Amazon. The product description had it listed as EVOO. It wasn't until they changed the description that I took a closer look at the label. Until then, I'd never noticed that in black letters on a dark green background, above the words Extra Virgin Olive Oil, it says Sunflower oil. When I read the ingredient label, I discovered that it was 80% Sunflower oil. All of my recipes had been calculated using 100% EVOO. So far, the only difference I've noticed in the soaps I've made with this is that they're super hard after a 8-week cure. I've stopped using it for soaping and I now read the ingredients labels when I buy oil.
20181202_160823.jpeg

I don’t think you can beat Costco for quality and price on evoo or coconut oil unless you are buying a 50 gallon drum. I’m using their organic evoo which for some is a scandalous waste of money but I sleep better at night and my friends and customers are very environmentally minded.

Thank you all for your feedback! I know I've seen on lists that Costco's organic evoo is real. Now I feel safe getting either Costco's (Kirkland) organic evoo or Kirkland regular olive oil. I always try to buy organic, but the price will probably determine this one! I'll also try using Rice bran as some of you suggested. Thank you again!

I used to buy the WalMart brand, which you have to be careful with. Sometimes it is good, sometimes it isn't. I fridge tested all of my OO before I would open it. If I put it in the fridge for 24-48 hours, it should become thick and cloudy. If it doesn't, it's adulterated OO. I returned about 50% of my jugs. When I first started formulating recipes for my business, I did test batches with various oils (and kept them to see how long it takes for DOS, etc). This year I was satisfied that the rice bran oil batches were as long lasting as the OO batches, so I made the switch to RBO. It has saved me so much time and money!

I remember buying EVOO from Walmart before I realized that it's adulterated, I accidently dropped some on my counter one day when I was cooking, I cleaned it with soap and water, the spot took few weeks to fade away, I understood it was only a pigment. When we were kids we moved somewhere where people around were famous for harvesting their own olives and making olive oil, it never ever happened that the OO or EVOO stains when it comes in contact with the counter or any other surface. Recently, I was on a trip and met a gentleman who told me something very interesting about EVOO, he owns a family land with a lot of olive trees, he said that they harvest their olives usually in winter and cold press them in batches over the few months of winter. Every batch has a different color and taste even though they are all from the same kind of tree, he was saying this is one sign you can tell that most of what's on the market of EVOO is adulterated. This was the first time I learn this about EVOO, it's very interesting to me.

Back