Adoption referral!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdawgs

Reaction score
Our family has been in the process of adopting a child from Burundi for over two years now(started paperwork on May 2, 2014) After a looong wait, we just received our call yesterday that we were matched with a kiddo! A four year old boy! Now we wait some more. They are estimating 6-8 months before we travel. My wife doesn't want to plaster this all over Facebook yet, but I'm excited so I have to tell someone!!

Oh, and since this is a soap forum, I can even throw something in soap related. I will be on the lookout for African black soap when we are over there. Not sure if I'll find any, but I sure hope to.

Oh my gosh!! That is amazing news. Congratulations!! I hope the wait isn't as long as you anticipate. Can't wait for the pictures of your happy family.

ETA: Wow, I just realized you're in Minnesota. What a huge change for that little boy!! Imagine what his eyes will be like when he sees snow for the first time. Oh what fun you're going to have!!!

Last edited:
Congrats. I don't know all of the odds and outs of adoption outside of the country but I do know it's still a pain how long it can take. It won't matter once you bring your son home, you'll be too busy making memories and giving a child a chance to be a child with a loving family.

Thanks everyone! If there's one thing I've learned during this process it's that if they give you a window of time for something, always anticipate it on taking longer than the longest time. So if they say 6-8 months, plan on 8-10. The anticipated time to get a referral once paperwork was finalized was 6-18 months. We are at 18.5 months. So we're not getting our hopes up on traveling in 6 months. It is what it is and there isn't anything you can control. It's a journey for sure. If anyone out there is considering adopting, it's much quicker and cheaper to "make" your own :). But that's not what this is about.

Back