Adoption referral!

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

gdawgs

Reaction score
Our family has been in the process of adopting a child from Burundi for over two years now(started paperwork on May 2, 2014) After a looong wait, we just received our call yesterday that we were matched with a kiddo! A four year old boy! Now we wait some more. They are estimating 6-8 months before we travel. My wife doesn't want to plaster this all over Facebook yet, but I'm excited so I have to tell someone!!

gdawgs

Reaction score
Oh, and since this is a soap forum, I can even throw something in soap related. I will be on the lookout for African black soap when we are over there. Not sure if I'll find any, but I sure hope to.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What exciting news. I hope you and your son don't have to wait 6 months. Congratulations!!

TeresaT

I see you.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Oh my gosh!! That is amazing news. Congratulations!! I hope the wait isn't as long as you anticipate. Can't wait for the pictures of your happy family.

ETA: Wow, I just realized you're in Minnesota. What a huge change for that little boy!! Imagine what his eyes will be like when he sees snow for the first time. Oh what fun you're going to have!!!

Last edited:

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Congratulations, how exciting!

jules92207

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, congratulations! I'm sure what ever time is left will speed by in comparison. So excited for you!

Arimara

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats. I don't know all of the odds and outs of adoption outside of the country but I do know it's still a pain how long it can take. It won't matter once you bring your son home, you'll be too busy making memories and giving a child a chance to be a child with a loving family.

gdawgs

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! If there's one thing I've learned during this process it's that if they give you a window of time for something, always anticipate it on taking longer than the longest time. So if they say 6-8 months, plan on 8-10. The anticipated time to get a referral once paperwork was finalized was 6-18 months. We are at 18.5 months. So we're not getting our hopes up on traveling in 6 months. It is what it is and there isn't anything you can control. It's a journey for sure. If anyone out there is considering adopting, it's much quicker and cheaper to "make" your own :). But that's not what this is about.

Latest posts