Adjusting superfat?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BattleGnome

Reaction score
I have a need to "say it out loud" since I'm not quite sure how to define the research to know if it works.

I would like to make coconut soap stain bars for laundry and a "regular" batch but hate doing dishes. Is it possible to adjust superfat on the fly for CP?

In theory, I would make a 2lb batch with 100% coconut oil at 0%SF then pour off 1/2-1lb for the stain sticks. Could I add add coconut oil to the remaining batter to get a more reasonable superfat for general use? If I added a different oil would the bar balance itself a bit to even out the cleansing? Should I just suck it up and do dishes? (I promise all my dishes do get done, soaping dishes just tend to sit for at least a week)

The theory seems reasonable in my head for something like salt bars but I have no idea what reasonable math to use. I am not the biggest fan of high CO soaps and would like to balance out with other oils somehow but... that pesky math. In my head I'm also thinking about making up two lye solutions and two batches of oils to make the CO soap then add everything else to make a larger batch of a more balanced bar.

I'm sorry for my ramble. I'm probably over thinking it all and if you've managed to follow my train of though put I would appreciate any oath you might be able to direct me on.

Personally, I would make one solution at maybe 50% and add the extra water to the batches. Then melt the pure coconut in one pot and add enough water and solution, then have another pot with the more regular soap oils in.

The maths involved in "I have some co with some lye in there, now I add more oils and more lye" just to save one pot isn't worth it for me. the maths is of course possible, but is it worth it for you?

I would agree with The Efficacious Gentleman. If you are just going to split the batch in half and then add whatever % of superfat with whatever oils you want that would be pretty safe to do. Anything more complicated than that it's better to do the two separate batches from the start.
I don't know about you but I would rather clean an extra pot than try to figure out that horrible math :mrgreen:

Thanks guys. I got very dependent on the one idea and overlooked the forest for the trees. I guess if this idea would eventually work then I'd need to start masterbatching and I don't quite have the reliable space for that.

I guess I'll go back to designing my ideal soap room and BLT scents.

If you have empty plastic lye containers, you have storage for masterbatches of lye. That is exactly what I use (thanks to the good people on here that suggested it!). And it therefore does not take up any additional space. I do label my bottles, though.

But as for using the same dishes for one batch as the other, I do that already. Just make the 0% SF, or unscented, or uncolored one first, wipe out the worst of the oils/batter with a paper towel, then make the next batch. I blitz the stickblender in a container of water to get it clean. Nothing fancy.

And if you are talking 100% CO soap, just go watch a TV program after making it, then when you come back, it is hardened enough. Just rinse it out.

As we are talking in another thread, if you want to reuse the containers that your dry alkali came in, be sure to double check the plastic code on the bottom before you do. Some DRY alkali comes in PET (PETE, PETG) containers -- that's fine for DRY NaOH or KOH, but it is very unsafe for lye solution. Always check the code on the container, even these containers. If it's not PP or HDPE or (third choice) LDPE, it's probably not safe for lye solution.

Yep, thank you, DeeAnna! I have never ordered lye from anyone other than ED, so I did not know that other suppliers use other than #2 containers. My bad for assuming otherwise.

Latest posts

Back