Adjustable multi wire soap log cutter - any interest? Need design suggestions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueRose

Reaction score
I need a project and I'm wondering if there is any interest in a wire cutter that has adjustable positioning's for each wire. How many wires can vary depending upon the size of the cutter desired.

I was planning on making the spacing for the cutters 1/4" minimum but ideally 1/8" apart. I'm guessing I may be able to make the slide bracket that holds the wire 1/4" at the smallest and more likely 3/8" (possibly even 1/2"). The width of the slide bracket will determine the minimum thickness of the soap so if I can make it 1/4" then you can cut 1/4" slices.

The length of the entire unit can be anywhere from 1 cutter wide, single slicer, or it could be 18"+ if desired.

I have seen multi-wire cutters for sale and they all seem to have permanently fixed spacing. This is totally not ideal for me.

Is there any interest in this? I already have the design and am going to be ordering materials. The thing is, as with all supplies, price decreases with larger purchases and I need to buy special tools for this, which makes it more expensive still.

Does anyone have any interest in this? If you need more info or have any suggestions or questions, please ask!

This sounds very interesting but depends on the target retail range. We keep buying cutters as newbies until we realize our needs and tastes have outgrown the kitchen table.

Warning: long post/lots of text. Sorry for all the weird spacing, tried to fix it and gave up.

Rogue, I've been batting this idea around (to make one myself, not to sell), I think it would work if the price point is right. The reason I looked for ways to do it myself, although I have yet to undertake it. The great thing about it is that it is pretty easy to make and is truly adjustable to the cuts you want to make, which is why I started thinking about doing it in the first place.

I found suggestions for designs on line from Delsie, a woman who I think was a great soapmaker but passed away a while ago, and made adustable cutters that folks seemed to love. This might have been an initial prototype, kind of rough and ready but pretty good in terms of making adjustable cuts. I think her final design was more polished and useful, but this one is pretty cool. Take inspiration from it, but credit it if you use it and don't copy it probably an IP rights breach (I'm sure you won't anyway). I added notes on it based on what I wanted (the "BC" notations in caps, just ignore them if they are idiotic. Rereading them made me realize how OCD I am:)

I would definitely be on board to buy one from you if well priced, I am a lazy, clumsy so and so. I can post links of pictures, but this is already long enough and I am afraid that hey will come out as pics rather than links, and this will be even longer. If anyone wants the pics, let me know, I will post them separately.
-----------------------
Soap Cutter - contributed by Delsie

Material needed: 2 side boards 18 in long, 3 1/2 in wide (all boards are scrape, 3/4 in thick).

BC: VARNISH OK/NON-REACTIVE W/LYE OR JUST LEAVE UNFINISHED? CHECK.]

1 base board 5 1/2 in wide and 18 in long (This might be better longer in order to have longer area to slide soap)

BC: TWO MACHINE HEAD GUITAR TUNERS, ONE LEFT/ONE RIGHT, ORDERED ON AMAZON.

2 triangle shaped key mounting boards [BC: FOR THE TUNERS TO SCREW INTO]

2 spacers to match [BC: THINK SHE MEANS SPACER TO GO B/W TUNER MOUNTING BDS AND SIDE WALLS SO THAT THE WIRE
WINDS AROUND TUNERS, DROPS INTO THE SPACE BETWEEN THE MOUNTING BD AND THE SPACER, AND THEN GETS THREADED
INTO THE SCREWS IN FRONT

Screws with straight slots to attach to front of side boards so guitar string wont cut into Wood , spaced at desired spaces. (mine has three, but I may add more)

[BC: REMEMBER TO GET SCREWS STRONG
ENOUGH TO HOLD THE WIRE BUT NOT SO BIG THEY WEAKEN THE BOARD. MAYBE ADD A FACING STRIP TO FRONT ON EACH SIDE
TO ADD STRENGTH/DEPTH SO CAN DRILL DEEPER, LESS CHANCE OF SPLITTING. DESIRED SPACES MEANS HEIGHT
FROM THE BOTTOM TO WHERE THE CUT ON THE SOAP SLAB WILL GO; IE; DIFFERENT FOR (1) TAIWANS/HORIZ. CUTS
(HALF OF HEIGHT OF BAR), (2)PLANING - SHE USES 1/8, (3) REGULAR LOAF SLICES [HERE, HOLD SLAB VERTICALLY,
WILL DO ONE AT AT A TIME, SO MAY WANT SEVERAL LEVELS DEPENDING ON HEIGHT OF LOAF MOLD, EG; 1", 3/4", 1.25.
NOTE, HOWEVER, CAUTION BELOW: "I am just afraid of spitting the side board if I put in too many screws."

#10 guitar string (what I had on hand)[BC: guy who makes the Tank uses 19 guage stainless steel wire; other posters have used 12 guage w/no problem. Another poster suggested a guitar "E string or B string". Advice from
poster on instructables site re making wire soap cutter: "Actually, if you scavenge at a music shop, they might even give away broken guitar strings. Check to see if they are made from stainless steel and use the thickest non-wound one. You would have to feel which one might work best. The wound ones are thicker because they are wrapped with an even thinner wire so you may want to use it for a textured raggy cut, Use a hardwood like maple to make the box frame, cut some grooves to align the wires, secure the ends wound around a screw and washer and you are all set. Good luck." From Catherine Failor: [use] "medium gauge guitar wire or 20 – 22 gauge music wire"]

The two side boards are mounted to edges of base board. Wider boards could be attached to sides, but you need at least 3 1/2 in guide for soap slab This is a level area to help cut even slices. Holes where drilled
in small triangle pieces, key is mounted through hole, triangle board is mounted with spacer so you can attach the wire. My husband said this type of mounting provided less "slack space" for the wire. And he says that
because either the key or the wire hole is hard to get to, the key needs to be easy to turn for easier adjusting. The screws are put in the front edge of side boards.

Thread the wire in one key, bring it around front slipping it into slots in appropriate screw head.
Thread into key on opponent side. So easy, to tighten and loosen to adjust. My husband put everything
together with screws so it can be tightened or what ever.

BC: SIDES OF BOARD SHOULD BE AT LEAST AS TALL, PREFERABLY A BIT TALLER, AS TALLEST SOAP/MOLD. CONSIDER MAKING
WOOD PUSH BAR SO AS TO AVOID MISHANDLING/FINGERPRINTING SOAP. ALSO CONSIDER ADDING NON SKID BOTTOM/FEET.

MAYBE UNECESSARY, ONE POSTER COMMENTED: " I hold the end of the cutter with my left hand, and push the soap logs through the wire with my right. No problems, and I can slice 36 bars in no time at all."]

I make most of my soap bars in a wooden box that has the inside dimensions of 14 1/4 wide 18 1/4 long I pour my soaps bout 2 3/4 thick.
To cut my soap I unmold my soap, I adjust the wire to 3 1/2 in screw, and cut 4 stripe on ways. I now have four strips of soap that at 3 1/2 wide and 18 1/4 long. I usually adjust the wire now to 1/8 and shave the top side of each strip as my cp soap is very rough or sometimes has ash on top. Next I adjust the wire to 1 1/4 in. and I cut each strip of soap into even bars. So neat. For the soap I make in the 3 1/2 in pvc. Pipe, I just unmold and slice at 1 1/4 in. When I want to cut guest soap at a less width, I just put a strip of wood in bottom of cutter, but more screws could be added. I am just afraid of spitting the side board if I put in too many screws. This cutter is light weight and easy to store also. delsie

Last edited:
Anne, pm me if you want to brainstorm about this or let me know if you want me to post pictures. I am actually so fumble fisted that I am hoping that Rogue will just make something close and I can buy it from her!

I didn't read the instructions as I don't want anyone to claim that I copied.

As for price, I'll do some calculations and see what I can come up with.

With it being adjustable here is what you will need to do for each wire length.
1. loosen tension screw
2. Loosen pivot side slide housing screw
3. Loosen far side slide housing screw
4. Move slide housings to proper location on both sides
5. Tighten pivot side slide housing screw
6. Tighten far side slide housing screw
7. Tighten tension screw

I plan on using allen head screws or possibly something that can be tightened by hand. both of these will make it very easy to make adjustments.

There are a couple issues that I'm dealing with. If the bar is 12" long and you want 1/2" cuts that means there needs to be 23 slides. The problem comes in when you want to make 1" or 1.5" cuts and you have an extra 12-18 slides that have to be either removed or slide out of the way. I can only think of one way to do this other than having to partially disasseble the unit and that is to make the unit a little extra longer to accomidate a "storage" section for the slides. These will be located "to the left of zero on a ruler" meaning if the bar is 12" long with zero to the left and 12 to the far right, then say a 4" section left of zero (-4" to zero) would be "storage" where the wires won't cut into any soaps on a slicing motion.

Soap chipping problem. As most experienced soapers know, there is sometimes a problem with cutting soap when the soap chips off at the very bottom of the bar when cut with a knife and it is a little different with a wire. I plan on fixing this by adding a bottom tray of moulded soft parafin (or something else that is a wax/soap like product). The cutter will slice into this layer ~3mm and I am hoping that this will take care of the problem (I'm testing that now). The layer will be remoldable and can be remelted and poured into a supplied mold when it gets to cut up. I'll probably make this layer moveable so each time you cut you can slide it a couple mm to have a fresh spot if needed.

Price
The main factor in determining the price is going to be how many cutters you will need and how long you want the cutting area to be.

Cutter details:
- 1/8" locking intervals
- 3/8" wire slide width (MAY be able to get this down to 1/4" if totally necessary - PLEASE LMK if you need 1/4" soap - this may be a special order - standard will be 3/8")

What I need to know is:
-how many cuts do you think you are going to make at a time
-how thick do you usually make them.
-What is your average loaf length?
-What is the width needed to be able to cut
-How high/tall is the soap.

Is there any need to have a lengthwise cutter - say a 18" x 7" mould a you want to cut down the middle to make 2 18" x 3.5". I could incorporate something such as this into the design as well, fully adjustable.

Last edited:
Rogue, sorry, having problems imagining how this will work. Could you draw it out (no matter how roughly) and post? I know you did not look at my post on the Delsie cutter model b/c you did not want to copy, but it allowed you to cut slabs that were tall into (eg) half depending on where you set the wires and then turn them on their side, adjust the wire height, and cut them into (eg) 1 inch portions. Probably better for the hobbyist like me, it might be too labor intenstive for a large producer though.

Is that how yours would work, or is it more like and accordian type cutter, where you bring the slicer down once and produce a bunch of cuts? This might be totally unintelligible, it is hard to describe images.

Last edited:
Rogue, sorry, having problems imagining how this will work. Could you draw it out (no matter how roughly) and post? I know you did not look at my post on the Delsie cutter model b/c you did not want to copy, but it allowed you to cut slabs that were tall into (eg) half depending on where you set the wires and then turn them on their side, adjust the wire height, and cut them into (eg) 1 inch portions. Probably better for the hobbyist like me, it might be too labor intenstive for a large producer though.

Is that how yours would work, or is it more like and accordian type cutter, where you bring the slicer down once and produce a bunch of cuts? This might be totally unintelligible, it is hard to describe images.

This is a really bad drawing but there is some text that might make things a little more clear.

cutter.jpg

This doesn't show the parafin tray, the measurement bar/ruler or the "base/zero block" which is where the soap is butted up against (zero on the ruler).

The wire slides will be adjustable. When I mentioned that there would need to be a "storage section" where the wire slides would be moved when not being used to cut. that would be to one extreme on the unit, to the far side (negative) of the zero on the ruler. I'm actually thinking that I may be able to make it so they can be removed without disassembly.

Rogue, sorry for delayed response, have been sick for the last couple of days and when I looked at the pic my brain was just too fuzzy to process it. I think I understand it now. I really like that the slides can be moved to change the size of the bars. Would the slide bar be notched so that the individual slide on one bar was matched up with the one on the bottom? Also, would there be anyway of having the wire at the far end be raisable at an adjustable height so that you could slide through a log that need to be cut horizontally instead of vertically (eg, Taiwan swirled type)? Adjustability would be impt here b/c people pour different height bars, and I assume they want them to be cut down the middle horizontally for two even halves. Hope this makes sense, still sickish/fuzzy brained.

It looks like a good model though, I love that it is small enough for use for the hobbyist like me, most of the other wire cutters are so big and expensive, hard to justify buying.

Latest posts

Back