Additives that look like stars in a Galaxy soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am considering my options, any ideas appreciated. In the past I have used chopped white soap, but I would like a more uniform, smaller effect that goes throughout the soap.
I have some stearic acid, in small flakes. I am wondering if that may work, if I keep temperature low enough so it does not melt, but I am not sure how it would affect the soap performance.
Also have some SCI that I can chop in a grinder, I know this will turn my bar into a syndet bar, I am ok with that.
I also considered other exfoliants such as cornmeal or ground oats, but I am trying to avoid anything that would be scratchy.

I've seen people blend TD deliberately badly so that clumps remained. Sounded like a nice idea, but looked terrible after wire-cutting. (Plus, the TD in the sky made it dark grey rather than deep black.)
In slight variation of this, you could deliberately beat air bubbles into the batter, and after cutting, smear some fresh white batter over the bars and scrape off all that didn't get stuck in the tiny holes.

Deliberate stearic spots? That's risky too, difficult to control, and it might collide with a desire for gelling (to get a deep & rich black out of the sky).

I've tried the scraped-white-soap route too, and wasn't delighted from it either.

Rizipearls/Kahlbeads/castor wax beads?

If all else fails, you can still paint them onto your soap(s). Tedious and not very elegant, but who could be better qualified to do so than you?

Thank you @ResolvableOwl! I decided to experiment and used soap scraps again in the black along with black enviroglitter and silver bio glitter. The soap was well cured so it made for smaller pieces. Then used a small amount of chopped SCI in one of the accessory colors and Stearic acid in the other, so that I can compare. The fragrance (8th and Ocean) seems to promote gel phase, so we will see. I might try the painting at the end.

@ResolvableOwl I must say I had never heard of Rizipearls/ kahlbeads/ castor wax beads, I wonder if they are available here. The first time I read it it went over my head! I considered jojoba beads but they are too pricey and melt at 165° F

I wonder if you could use something like Sparkle Plenty from Mad Micas and just kind of put random pinches in as you pour? Like a mica line, but not all in the same place, if that makes sense?

I wonder if you could use something like Sparkle Plenty from Mad Micas and just kind of put random pinches in as you pour? Like a mica line, but not all in the same place, if that makes sense?
I thought about adding Snowflake sparkle Enviroglitter, which I think is similar. I think it’s worth a try, thanks!

@ResolvableOwl I must say I had never heard of Rizipearls/ kahlbeads/ castor wax beads, I wonder if they are available here. The first time I read it it went over my head! I considered jojoba beads but they are too pricey and melt at 165° F
I too have not the slightest idea if they are worth anything. Learned about them incidentally and they popped to my mind (pun intended…) when I thought what might be the closest equivalent of poppy seeds but white.
BTW, white poppy seeds are an actual thing, but I guess they would count as exfoliants too.

I too have not the slightest idea if they are worth anything. Learned about them incidentally and they popped to my mind (pun intended…) when I thought what might be the closest equivalent of poppy seeds but white.
BTW, white poppy seeds are an actual thing, but I guess they would count as exfoliants too.
That’s good to know, I do not mind mild exfoliation. I have a soap with coffee grounds and I find it scratchy, so I am trying to avoid that. But mild exfoliation would be ok. I will look up to see what kind of exfoliation poppy seeds give.

How about powdered goat’s milk that’s not mixed well. Kind of along @ResolvableOwl ’s suggestion of the TD?
It is worth a try, I considered coconut flour as well. I am going to do a second attempt and can try it. Thank you!

I grated my soap, then let it dry a bit and then put it in the food processor, and I got tiny bits of soap. The next time I did it, I didn't dry the soap and it didn't come out as small in the food processor.

I grated my soap, then let it dry a bit and then put it in the food processor, and I got tiny bits of soap. The next time I did it, I didn't dry the soap and it didn't come out as small in the food processor.
I was wondering about that. I don’t have a food processor but considered using a coffee grinder (exclusively used for cosmetics and such). I have some really dry soap I could try that with, thank you!

I think the finely grated soap worked best. The stearic acid was too large and translucent (it is in the pinkish portion) and I cannot see the ground SCI. I grated a chunk of cured white soap (old), on the side of a boxed shredder that has spiky things. I am sure there is a name for it.
From up close I can see the enviroglitter in the black and purple, so I will add that too next time .
8DCC6636-5DF9-4BF0-B3DD-F40FB90E34C1.jpeg
A33F097B-36FA-479C-9A01-A7969656C904.jpeg

Back