Additions in masterbatch lye?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luthier58

Reaction score
I've used masterbatched lye and oils for my last several batches, and it's been great. I'm using just a straight 50:50 lye and water mix, and mixed any additives in the additional water. I'm about to make a new lye masterbatch, and I'm wondering which additives (silk, SL, sugar, salt, etc.) I can add directly to the lye/water masterbatch mix.

Thanks!

I would not add anything to the actual master batched lye.

There is only so much 'stuff' you can dissolve into water. At some point things will start precipitating out. I think the silk might be ok - but everything else I would just add to extra fluid you dilute the master batch with. Or you can master batch your additional liquid - tho that might be alot of math.

I can see adding something like a fiber (silk, wool, etc) to a masterbatched lye solution if a person always uses this type of additive, since the fiber takes awhile to dissolve. After all, the masterbatch concept is around as a way to save time and effort.

But sugar, salt, and similar additives are so easy and quick to add. For the way I soap, I don't see a great savings of time and effort from including them in a master batched lye solution, but I do see a big down side -- I don't want to be limited in my recipe options by the ingredients I include in a masterbatch.

If I add sugar to my masterbatch, and I don't want any extra sugar when making a particular recipe, I'm stuck with taking the time to make a plain lye solution or I put up with a less than desirable situation. To give a concrete example, I make some batches with an infusion of sweetgrass or beer. In either case, the beer or sweetgrass adds plenty of sugars, so I don't want even more sugar added. So a masterbatch lye solution with sugar in it would not be something I'd want to use for this type of recipe.

But if you always use a particular blend of additives or if you're in a higher volume production mode and don't need the flexibility, then try it out and see.

I'm thinking mostly about SL and silk, since I use SL in most batches, and silk is a pain to dissolve without lye (IME). I was considering making multiple masterbatches with different additives, but at that point you're probably negating the time savings anyway.

Thanks for the input!

I only have water and lye in my lye masterbatch. I did, however, make a "masterbatch" of aloe vera juice and sugar to eliminate a step there. I did just 32 oz at first, but once I knew it worked well, I masterbatched the rest of the gallon of aloe vera juice and put it in the freezer in pint bottles to thaw as needed.

Latest posts

Back