Adding yogurt to soap. . .

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmm. What yummy tips and recipes! I got me a big old can of yogurt right now ready to be used. I want to add avocado to this. I also want to try to scent it. :lol: This has been so fun!

I do the HP method for soap making. I wanted to try yogurt soap. I put a heaping table spoon in with my oils and cooked. I could detect a faint ammonia smell while cooking. After the cook I added 2 more heaping table spoons I also added some fragrance. I let the soap cool and when I went to cut into bars, I could still smell ammonia. The soap bars have been sitting for a week now and seemed to have aired out some. I can't detect the ammonia smell very strong anymore but only on the bottom of the bar where it sat on the shelf, where it didn't get air. I believe this smell came from originally cooking the yogurt so I am going to try it one more time only adding the yogurt at the end of cooking as a super fatting agent.

I've been really heavily using coconut milk, goat's milk, and yogurt. I cut the evaporated GM with a little water then add my coconut milk and about 113 grams of yogurt. I freeze until it's a block of ice in a pyrex pitcher then crush it up into chunks, place the mixture in an ice bath, and I've managed to prevent the mixture from rising more than 85 degrees farenheit. It stays a nice creamy ivory color and doesn't have that horrid burned milk smell (and I know this smell ALL too well :lol: ). This is just what I've found that works for me.

Yogurt in soap is fabulous! And heavy cream or half and half! I usually add a sizable glop right at trace. Never used fruited yogurt but I have added fruit puree to soap. It usually turns brown. The beautiful pinks, reds, and blues dont stay that way .

As for the ammonia smell - most animal milks will give off that aroma until they cure out. My GM, heavy creams and yogurt soaps always give off a funk for a week or so.

Could you use sour cream instead of Yogurt and get the same creamy feeling from the soap? I would love to try this and if anyone else has tried this what were your results.

i've tried yogurt in soap but in powdered form. seemed easier to use, i guess but i'm thinking of trying the real yogurt someday. it makes a very creamy soap as far as i can tell but since i don't have sensitive skin i really can't tell if there is a big difference from non-yogurt soap. i like it though and i've read that it helps make a nice facial soap. :)

igbabygirl said:
Could you use sour cream instead of Yogurt and get the same creamy feeling from the soap? I would love to try this and if anyone else has tried this what were your results.
I am going to be trying the sour cream as soon as I give out some of the soaps I already have as holiday and X-mas gifts. I have too many around the house. :oops: I will let everyone know how it goes. If anyone beats me to it, let me know!

That awful ammonia smell is gone now and the soap IS so awesome!
You guy's were right, the smell will disappear within about a week.

I also used heavy whipping cream in a batch yesterday, in HP soap, I added the cream after cooking, also put silk fibers in the lye solution. I love the cream soaps too. Just got out of the shower and I feel so good! YES!

There is a chance that dead probiotic are actually what provide benefits! So the probiotic soaps are not a scam and could be looked into. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/foru...ition/103194-what-temperature-kills-probiotic they talk about it at this link Apparently vets have been using prekilled probiotic for years and now it is starting to make it to human use

This post is from 2008. None of the OPs are here. Please read the forum rules about necroposting in old posts.

Thank you

Back