Adding yogurt to soap. . .

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panda

Reaction score
I've heard someone say they added yogurt to their soap. Has anyone tried this before? What effect does it have on the soap? I'm always interested in trying new things I'd just like to hear from someone who's tried it who can give me a few pointers or see a recipe.

Never tried it but I'm always interested in experimenting. Did you ever end up trying it? How did it work out?

Yogurt soap is one of my favorites! I always use a non fruit with high fat content. Use half for liquid. Add more at trace with a banana or avocado or papaya and honey. I love it!

Let's try this again...I love yogurt soap. My customers love it too. It is much creamier than soaps made with water alone and I like it better than gm. I like to add it as all of my lye liquid. I like adding cucumber with it too.

Ooh. cucumber. That is such a delicious idea. My hubby is going to kill me if I make another soap. I just did a batch yesterday. I got to go get me some yogurt! Lol!

Your husband would probably have a cow if he lived with me. It's nothing to make a batch or 3 a day. Enjoy your yogurt soaps. It's a great addition. Cucumber, yogurt, kiwi, avocado......

I tried to look at some yogurt soaps on your website. Did not see any but your soaps are very beautiful! I agree yogurt soaps lend a feel that not even milk does. I love working with dairy and produce!

How do you incorporate the yogurt and lye. You said use a high fat content, which I would think means whole milk yogurt which is very thick (and I think as tasty as ice cream) :) How??

I use half aloe vera ( or whatever :lol: ) and then half yogurt for my liquid solution that goes with the lye. Because I am so greedy for that creamy, luxurious feel, i'll go ahead and add more of it at trace. I use a very high fat Greek yogurt called Fage. It is the only one that I use when I make yogurt soap. Oh and yes, it is thick and 'tasty'! The fat is what makes that creamy magic happen. :p

Adding yogurt to soap.....

I have a question about the lye and yogurt. If you add the lye to the yogurt or yogurt and aloe vera juice mixture, won't the lye start to saponify the fat in that yogurt ? Won't you have a big ole gloppy mess to add to your oils instead of clear lye water? If so, does a couple of swirls with the SB just mix it all up? I really want to try this....

Re: Adding yogurt to soap.....

reallyrita said:
I have a question about the lye and yogurt. If you add the lye to the yogurt or yogurt and aloe vera juice mixture, won't the lye start to saponify the fat in that yogurt ? Won't you have a big ole gloppy mess to add to your oils instead of clear lye water? If so, does a couple of swirls with the SB just mix it all up? I really want to try this....

I believe they make goat milk soap this way too - by adding lye to the milk first. Then that mix is added to the oils. And it turns out fine.

It seem other people just added the yogurt in with the oils then blend.
Marcie from Soap Naturally wrote, "I put the cream and the yogurt in the pot with the oils when the oils have cooled down and gave it a whiz with the stick blender before adding the lye solution." Kelly does the same thing too.

Kelly M. from North Country Mercantile: Herbed Yogurt Recipe said:
17 oz. Coconut Oil
25 oz. Olive Oil
25 oz. Palm Oil
9 oz. Palm Kernel Oil
1 oz. Stearic Acid
13 oz. Lye
10 oz. Water

20 oz. Whole Milk Yogurt
9 oz. Shea Butter
4 oz. Castor Oil
4 oz. Avocado Oil
2 oz. Kukui Nut Oil
3 T Calendula Petals (optional)
3 T Chamomile Flowers (optional)
3 T Lavender Flowers (optional)
2 T Marshmallow Root (optional)

Mix the lye with the water and put it aside to cool. Melt the coconut, olive, palm, and palm kernel oil. In a microwave-safe bowl, nuke yogurt for about 1 minute or until it’s approximately 85°F. Mix lye and oils when both are 90°F (within 10°F).

Have yogurt ready because oils will saponify quickly due to small ammount of liquid. Add yogurt as soon as you have the lye and oils mixed together, but not tracing. In another microwave-safe bowl nuke avocado, castor, kukui, and shea butter with herbs (if you’re using them) until they are approximately 85°F and add at light trace. Mix to desired trace and pour into molds.

Now I really want to try yogurt soap. Especially the ones made with fruits (like the ones pictured here). The selections are endless! :)

I am curious about adding produce in soap. I have cucumber and lettuce soaps already, no problem so far but I am worried that eventually the soap will get moldy. Has anyone ever had this happen when using produce?

DO the YOGURT soap!!!! I made a batch tonight with GM and yogurt and unmolded it .... my hands feel like a baby butt; no joke. It's amazing! I used evaporated goats milk and diluted it with oat milk then added about 113 grams of yogurt at trace. What a wonderful ingredient! Thanks for the wisdom; I feel as though I learn something every time I surf this forum, you guys are great :D

I have some yogurt soaps that are about 3 yrs old and show no sign of mold.

Adding lye dirctly to milk turns the milk hot, yellow, stinky and burns it.....so one remedy for this is to freeze the milk you're going to use in your soap batch, in ice cube trays. Then add the lye/water to this. I always add a little water to lye, to ensure that it gets mixed up thoroughly. Nobody wants flecks of white lye bits in their finished soap!

or you can add milk (or yogurt) at light trace....or to the oils after they are cooled.

I've never had that problem. I have had it heat up on me but I always get the lye mixed together completely. Same with coconut milk.

Back