Adding Yogurt to Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yogurt is lovely in soap. You guys are enablers now I need to make some lol. I have a whole tub unopened that was expired from the store and was too lazy to take it back so it will be my soaping yogurt hehehe.

How do you guys keep the mold from overheating? I have a little frig so that won't work and I don't know about the freezer. I just don't want another disaster like with my goat milk half gelling ugh!

The best way to avoid overheating is:

1. soap at low temps/room temp
2. know your FO/EO...it is a superheater?
3. use a slab mold....more surface area for the soap = less chance of overheating
4. start with frozen/slushy milk (if you are using milk)

I did not freeze my yogurt, and I did not have any troubles with overheating either. I did use a slab mold, and soaped at around 100 F. This recipe was 60% lard, 25% Olive, and 15% coconut. It is a VERY SLOW tracer, which I think helps when soaping any milk products. I did put the soap in an oven that was preheated on warm and turned off. I did put a towel over the top that was covered with a cookie sheet (I do need to have dh make me a lid for this mold), but that was all. I am one of those who prefers gelled soap, so I wanted to make sure I got full gell. The soap turned out a light tan/cream color from the yogurt. It's pretty hard already, second day out of the mold. I definitely will be making another yogurt soap soon.

xraygrl said:
The best way to avoid overheating is:
I am one of those who prefers gelled soap.

What is "gelled soap"?
Is it when the soap over-heats in the mold and turns more-clear looking?
When you're about to have a situation that could cause separation?
Details please?

Gel Stage is a natural part of the chemical reaction of cold process soap....yes the soap will heat up and look kind of translucent during this stage (thus the name, it looks like a gel), but that does not necessarily mean overheating. Gel stage is the stage where most of the saponification takes place. Overheating is basically exactly what it says....it is the soap getting TOO hot. Overheating generally causes BIG ghastly demon looking oozing cracks in the soap (separation).

Even if people refrigerate/freeze thier soaps to prevent gel, the mix will still saponify, it just takes longer.

xraygrl said:
Gel Stage is a natural part of the chemical reaction of cold
Even if people refrigerate/freeze thier soaps to prevent gel, the mix will still saponify, it just takes longer.

So, is "gel" desirable/undesirable and why?

Gel or non gel is a personal preference. I have never done non gel as I prefer to let the soap do it's thing and gel. You would have to ask people who do non gel as to why they prefer it. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

So when I was grocery shopping yesterday I picked up a container of plain yogurt, and was hoping I could use it to make soap. Before I do though, I had a few questions for you more experience dsoapers :)

First of all, since it is dairy will it make the soap go rancid faster?

Second: How do I add it? Would I add it at trace or as a percentage of oils? Or would I add it as the liquid for my lye mixture?

Thanks guys! I'm hoping to make some soap with my new soap mold tonight, and I got french green clay to add too!!!
i love using it plain reg fat yogurt - makes smoother in HP

I've used yogurt in my HP soap only about a Tea to a Tbs depending on your recipe. I've always added it @ end when soap is done' yogurt is at room temp' dont heat it' & stir like crazy when you do add it or you'll get cooked yogurt. I havient tried it in my CP soap yet. Happy Soaping 🧼🤗

I've used yogurt in my HP soap only about a Tea to a Tbs depending on your recipe. I've always added it @ end when soap is done' yogurt is at room temp' dont heat it' & stir like crazy when you do add it or you'll get cooked yogurt. I havient tried it in my CP soap yet. Happy Soaping 🧼🤗
This post is from 2009. Not likely to get a response.

Latest posts

Back