Adding yogurt to CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IamLynntoo

Reaction score
I'm wondering about adding yogurt to CP. When you do this, do you discount your water by the amount of yogurt you use? I've heard it has a tendency to heat things up, too. I soap at room temp. Do you think it would be a problem? Any tips? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Lynn

yes, you count it as part of your water. soaping RT def helps. you can also put your mold in the freezer first prior to molding. just check the mold periodically for signs of over heating.

Look at the nutrition label, Luna, and compare the fat content per cup (or whatever) to the same amount of 2% milk. Easy peasy.

Tired brains lead to Kitten Love questions (& unwanted errors). I think I figured out how my yogurt would affect the SF in my soap (hence my previous question):

When goat milk is utilized, it can add about 5% to the SF value in soap while only having about 10 grams of fat. I had a yogurt with 4 grams of fat and figured that it would add around 2% to the SF value. Since I wanted to keep it around 5%, I set the calculator up for a 3% SF. I think I solved it.

If I am wrong about something, please let me know. If I come off rude, please forgive me. I lack of functioning is partly due to my attempt at adjusting to late-night employment.

"...it can add about 5% to the SF value in soap while only having about 10 grams of fat. I had a yogurt with 4 grams of fat and figured that it would add around 2% to the SF value...."

Then you are making 200 gram batches, I take it? That's an awfully small batch size. Measurement error is likely to be unacceptably high, unless you are using a very accurate scale.

edit -- What I mean by this is that I'm rather puzzled by the how you are converting the actual weight of fat to the percentage of SF. I can't quite figure out if you (1) are making really small batches in which 10 g fat translates to adding an additional 5% superfat or (2) your math is not quite right. Can you clarify?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back