Adding water or oil when mixing colourants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orebma

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I get confused about adding additional water or oil to a recipe if you use them for mixing colourants. Why do you need to be so careful with quantities when putting your recipe together but then you're allowed to add extra (of either) when you want to premix colourants? I watch youtube vids and when people do say 3-4 colours, they can end up adding 3-4 TBspns of water or oil. If that is OK then why is the precise weighing and measuring at the beginning such a big deal?

It really depends on your batch size, and your starting super fat.

If you are making a 5-6lb batch, a few extra tablespoons of oils won't mean much, especially if you are starting at a lower SF, like 2-3%.

If you are making a 1-3lb batch and starting with a 5%SF, then those extra oils absolutely make a difference.

It all comes down to how comfortable you are with your recipe, how you like to soap (very precise, or not), and what you plan to do with your soap: use it personally, gift it, or sell it.

It really depends on your batch size, and your starting super fat.

If you are making a 5-6lb batch, a few extra tablespoons of oils won't mean much, especially if you are starting at a lower SF, like 2-3%.

If you are making a 1-3lb batch and starting with a 5%SF, then those extra oils absolutely make a difference.

It all comes down to how comfortable you are with your recipe, how you like to soap (very precise, or not), and what you plan to do with your soap: use it personally, gift it, or sell it.
I get it - thanx Ali :)

Back