Adding td to batch oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this is probably a stupid question. If i am making an all white base soap, can i add my td into my oils before lye? Then sb, then add the lye? Will it make a difference in not getting td boogers?

I tried to search, but i am a bad looker-upper

Yes, you can also add td to lye solution and blend first (if it's "water dispersable"). I recommend going the oil route, your colors will be less vibrant, more pastel though so keep that in mind.

Thank you…

I came here to reply to myself….Note to self. Do not do this again lol. I made a bubbly mess and the td did not disperse properly. Maybe next time i will disperse it first, then add to the oil. Maybe.

After i added the lye it got a little better. It was a lot of trouble. More than if i did this ahead of time.

Thank you…

I came here to reply to myself….Note to self. Do not do this again lol. I made a bubbly mess and the td did not disperse properly. Maybe next time i will disperse it first, then add to the oil. Maybe.

After i added the lye it got a little better. It was a lot of trouble. More than if i did this ahead of time.

Can you explain your process? You added your powdered TD into the batch oils, correct, and then zhushed with the blender to disperse?
Did you burp the blender?

I never suggest adding TD directly to oils or water or lye. I always suggest pre-mixing it before use and even straining it when you pour it into your batter or oils when coloring with it. I always pre-mixed in a jar with a blender I had dedicated for my TD and also strained it when using it just as a precaution. I finally gave up on TD after using it for a few years, it was just too pesky to dissolve even using water TD. No matter how well you mix TD some will always settle to the bottom. After mixing a jar of it I would sometimes I would strain it into a squit bottle in which I had stainless steel bearings in the bottom to help when I would shake it up. As I said, after a few years I finally gave up using TD it was more trouble than it was worth for me, with my light recipes and I embraced the brown with my discoloring FO's.

Yes, yes, and yes. The td all stuck to the blender stick, the sides of the pot, and the spatula. After I added the lye solution, it blended up a lot better…after 20 minutes of trying to get bubbles worked out of the oil mess.

I never suggest adding TD directly to oils or water or lye. I always suggest pre-mixing it before use and even straining it when you pour it into your batter or oils when coloring with it. I always pre-mixed in a jar with a blender I had dedicated for my TD and also strained it when using it just as a precaution. I finally gave up on TD after using it for a few years, it was just too pesky to dissolve even using water TD. No matter how well you mix TD some will always settle to the bottom. After mixing a jar of it I would sometimes I would strain it into a squit bottle in which I had stainless steel bearings in the bottom to help when I would shake it up. As I said, after a few years I finally gave up using TD it was more trouble than it was worth for me, with my light recipes and I embraced the brown with my discoloring FO's.
I know. I was going to give up on it last year, but it is so predictable for color. I tried micas, but the amt you need to add is crazy to get the white i like

The one time I added dry TD to my oils, I ended up with shattered soap. Admittedly I had way too much TD, but I found I had issues with adding any type of 'clay' type colorant including clays, pigments, ultramarines...they just seem to mix better if they are pre-dispersed. And I used to pre-disperse my TD in water until I watched a video by Lisa at I Dream in Soap. She uses Olive Oil and a Nutra Bullet mixer...I just use a syrup jug I got from the local Dollar Store and my electric mini mixer with the blade attachment. It still separates after a few days, but unlike water, it doesn't form a sticky clay at the bottom. And because I'm dispersing oil into oils, I don't have to SB it to get it mixed in.

... And I used to pre-disperse my TD in water until I watched a video by Lisa at I Dream in Soap. She uses Olive Oil and a Nutra Bullet mixer...I just use a syrup jug I got from the local Dollar Store and my electric mini mixer with the blade attachment. It still separates after a few days, but unlike water, it doesn't form a sticky clay at the bottom. And because I'm dispersing oil into oils, I don't have to SB it to get it mixed in.

I just saw her video a few days ago. I don't use TD too often and only have the water type that I premix in a bottle with bearings. According to the video, you only have to stir in the TD using her method, no SB required. Do you find that as well? I might have to get a small amount of the oil type to try.

I just saw her video a few days ago. I don't use TD too often and only have the water type that I premix in a bottle with bearings. According to the video, you only have to stir in the TD using her method, no SB required. Do you find that as well? I might have to get a small amount of the oil type to try.

Yes...it stirs or whisks in really easily.

Back