Adding sugar when lye is masterbatched

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDog

Reaction score
I usually add 1 tsp of sugar ppo to my water before I add lye. When dealing with a masterbatched lye solution, what's the best way to add sugar to my batter?

I was thinking maybe add the sugar to the extra water, dissolve, then add to the lye water? Or add the new sugar water to the oils and blend like I do with my 39% EDTA solution, then add the lye solution?

I masterbatch my sugar water too, and keep it in its own bottle. Then I don't have to make it fresh each time. Its just a simple syrup of 1 part sugar to 1 part water. I add the syrup at a rate of about 30 g ppo directly to my oils, right before or right after adding the lye solution. That will give 15 g sugar ppo.

Looks like it works both ways - adding it to lye solution or to oils! Thanks CaraBou and TEG!

I just dissolve powdered sugar in my extra water/liquid and dump it in the oils. The cornstarch in the powder sugar does not affect the soap at all. Sorry, I do not know exactly how much I use in my 6lb batches, I just use a scoop I have and put in a scoop or two

I masterbatch my lye 50/50, and I just dissolve my sugar and other additives in the extra water amount needed for my batch, which I then add to my oils before I add in my lye solution. I add 5% sugar ppo to my batches, which works out to be somewhere around 2 tablespoons sugar ppo.

IrishLass :)

I masterbatch my lye 50/50, and I just dissolve my sugar and other additives in the extra water amount needed for my batch, which I then add to my oils before I add in my lye solution. I add 5% sugar ppo to my batches, which works out to be somewhere around 2 tablespoons sugar ppo.

Hi Irish lass,
Does sugar make soap harder? Do you use that much sugar in your Castile soap too?
I use 1/2 tbls ppo of honey in some recipes is that enough to have any effect on soap at all?

Hi Irish lass,
Does sugar make soap harder? Do you use that much sugar in your Castile soap too?
I use 1/2 tbls ppo of honey in some recipes is that enough to have any effect on soap at all?

Hi Penelope- nope, it doesn't make my soaps harder (nor softer either), but it does make things delightfully bubblier. I should mention at this point, though, that if I use much more than that, my soap does start getting softer.

If you want a noticeably harder soap, salt is your friend instead of sugar.

And if you want a bubblier soap, sugar is your friend instead of salt.

RE: honey. I love honey in soap. For me and my formulas, I've found that 1 tablespoon ppo of honey seems to give me the same amount of bubblage that 2 tablespoons ppo of sugar gives me.

If you want a noticeably harder soap, salt is your friend instead of sugar.

And if you want a bubblier soap, sugar is your friend instead of salt.

RE: honey. I love honey in soap. For me and my formulas, I've found that 1 tablespoon ppo of honey seems to give me the same amount of bubblage that 2 tablespoons ppo of sugar gives me.

Thank you Irish Lass for steering me in the correct direction and giving me the amounts you use. So far I've only used these additives in my Castile soaps which are currently curing and will be for many months before I can test them properly so this saves me a huge amount of time.

:)

Back