adding sugar to lye solution

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milky

Reaction score
I'm expecting to slice a new soap today! After making it I remembered that I'd wanted to add sugar. Oops. A couple hours ago I made a lye+milk solution for another soap and added some sugar. Last I checked there were still a lot of sugar lumps in it. Will those disappear with some stickblending or do I have to strain them out? Last time I tried straining the sieve clogged so I'm not looking forward to doing that again.

I would strain it. Milk has a lot of sugar in it on its own so adding more was probably unnecessary. You will need to watch for cracks and volcano. I add sugar to the water before the lye to make sure it fully dissolves.

Thanks. Now I'm scared though. lol. Should I put in the fridge or freezer after pouring?

Always put sugar into plain water, THEN add the NaOH. Never the other way around, but if you forget, strain it out and use the lesson as a reminder to do it right next time. :)

Unless you're putting a majorly large amount of sugar or sugar-containing additives into the batch or if you are using a recipe that has a lot of coconut oil which heats up a fair bit all on its own or if you feel the need to insulate or CPOP the molded soap (none of which you explained), then there typically shouldn't be too great a risk of uncontrolled overheating.

Latest posts

Back