Adding sugar to goat milk soap recipe

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by SoapSisters, Jun 18, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jun 18, 2019 #1

SoapSisters

SoapSisters

SoapSisters

I'd like to use sugar instead of castor oil for bubbles (I've run out of castor and will only have some in a few weeks) in goat milk soap. I'd like to use GM for 100% of the liquid in my soap, if possible. The issue is that I use frozen goat milk and can't figure out where/when to add the sugar. (I know that with water, the sugar should be dissolved first, before adding lye.)

Should I melt just a little bit of GM, just enough to dissolve the sugar in, before adding my lye? Can I melt the sugar in my oils? (As an aside: would honey have a bubbling effect also?) Is there no way around using a bit a distilled water to dissolve the sugar?

I'd appreciate any and all advice!

2. Jun 18, 2019 #2

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

I'd be worried about overheating. GM, as well as cow's milk, already has natural sugars and can overheat if you're not careful. I don't think I would bother adding sugar.

Primrose likes this.
  3. Jun 18, 2019 #3

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

Do a seasrch on here, there are a bunch of topics on sugar and milks.

I too say heat will be an issue.... you can melt it in the milk and then freeze it

4. Jun 18, 2019 #4

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

Sugar is water soluble, but it's not fat soluble. You have to dissolve it in a water-based liquid -- use some water or liquid milk.

Some people who use sugar a lot in their soap have gone to using simple syrup made with half water and half sugar.

I tend to agree, however, than the sugars in the milk are probably enough without adding extra sugar.

Kevin Dunn (author of Scientific Soapmaking) did a study that showed the sugars consume some lye. He found fluid goat milk consumed roughly 4% of the lye (in other words, goat milk added 4% to the superfat compared with water). The milk fat consumed some of the lye, as expected, but Dunn also showed that the lye also reacted with the sugars (lactose) in the milk.

According to my estimates, using full-fat cow milk as a complete replacement for water will raise the superfat by roughly 1%. If this trend holds true for goat milk, then sugars in milk add at least half of the 4% superfat.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    gloopygloop likes this.
  5. Jun 19, 2019 #5

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

If you decide to add some sugar maybe you could dissolve it into the goats milk before you freeze the milk. I haven’t tried it though.

6. Jun 19, 2019 #6

gloopygloop

gloopygloop

gloopygloop

I dont see why you should need sugar with the GM, I do HP and it helps with fluidity along with SL but if I were doing a straight CP GM soap I wouldn't add sugar personally as some sugar is present in the milk, plus it would really add to the heat up IMO and could potentially be a scorcher!

7. Jun 20, 2019 #7

SoapSisters

SoapSisters

SoapSisters

Thanks, everyone! I think I'll skip the sugar!

Mobjack Bay likes this.