Adding Sugar first time

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello there! I’d like to add some sugar to a batch of soap to increase the bubbliness without using coconut oil. The recipe I’m considering using is for 900g fat total, I’m considering adding 1T sugar. How does that sound to you more experienced soapers?

Oops! I meant to add a screen shot of my recipe.
25A58AD9-0791-48D0-A998-82331DF62265.jpeg

My sweetspot is 2 tablespoons sugar ppo in my batches, so for 900g oils/fats which is basically 2 pounds of oils/fats, you would find me using a total of 4 tablespoons sugar. Lesser amounts than that don't seem to increase the bubbliness to any noticeable degree in my soaps. And on the flipside, if I use any more than 2 tablespoons ppo, my soap starts coming out too soft, so 2 tbsp. ppo is what I stick to.

IrishLass :)

My sweetspot is 2 tablespoons sugar ppo in my batches, so for 900g oils/fats which is basically 2 pounds of oils/fats, you would find me using a total of 4 tablespoons sugar. Lesser amounts than that don't seem to increase the bubbliness to any noticeable degree in my soaps. And on the flipside, if I use any more than 2 tablespoons ppo, my soap starts coming out too soft, so 2 tbsp. ppo is what I stick to.

Could I add some sodium lactate to harden it, if I add that much sugar? I bought some, but haven’t used it yet.

Thank you. I’ve been covering the loaf mold when it’s filled to insulate and insure gel. Will that be ok still you think? The sugar will make it heat up more, right?
Regular, granulated sugar doesn't cause any problems for me - no acceleration, no heating. If it does heat things up, it is just marginal and I don't notice it. I cover and insulate all soaps and set my mold on a heating pad to make sure it gels. The first time, I'd do things as you normally do, but maybe keep an eye on it.

ETA: sugars from honey, milk, etc. will cause heating.

Regular, granulated sugar doesn't cause any problems for me - no acceleration, no heating. If it does heat things up, it is just marginal and I don't notice it. I cover and insulate all soaps and set my mold on a heating pad to make sure it gels. The first time, I'd do things as you normally do, but maybe keep an eye on it.

ETA: sugars from honey, milk, etc. will cause heating.
Thank you! Do you ever use sodium lactate with the sugar?

Thank you SO much for your help! I’m excited to try these new additions. Now if only I didn’t have to wait 4 weeks!!! 😆
So, dissolve sugar in water, add lye, then add sodium lactate. The lye calculator says for %2 sodium lactate to use 18.00, which I am assuming is weight, just like everything else. My sodium lactate is a liquid.

I regularly use both sodium lactate and sugar in my batches. I use the liquid type sodium lactate. Yes- you want to measure it out by weight.

There's lotsa good information in the Beginner's Forum! You might want to take a cuppa and spend some time browsing. For example, Lovin' Soap Studio's section on additives, "Bubbles Boot Camp" recommends 1/2 teaspoon PPO. I don't use sodium lactate and I've only tried sugar once. I found 1 teaspoon PPO to be the right amount for making ZNSC,

There's lotsa good information in the Beginner's Forum! You might want to take a cuppa and spend some time browsing. For example, Lovin' Soap Studio's section on additives, "Bubbles Boot Camp" recommends 1/2 teaspoon PPO. I don't use sodium lactate and I've only tried sugar once. I found 1 teaspoon PPO to be the right amount for making ZNSC,
When you used the sugar in the ZNSC it made it bubbly?!
I have been checking out the beginner area. I’ll keep at it. There’s a LOT!

Back