Adding Stearic Acid & Beeswax to CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mix them with the oils before adding to the NaOH solution. Heat and stir until they dissolve. Try not to overheat/burn the oils.

I should rephrase this I am wanting to mix up 240 pounds of my oils that will make me 8 slabs of soap. I thought I will heat and mix all oils together in one day then the next couple day I would pour the slabs will the stearic acid and bees wax stay in solution?

I should rephrase this I am wanting to mix up 240 pounds of my oils that will make me 8 slabs of soap. I thought I will heat and mix all oils together in one day then the next couple day I would pour the slabs will the stearic acid and bees wax stay in solution?
Yes, this is the masterbatching technique. But what you will need to do is stir periodically while it's solidifying so the stearic and beeswax doesn't sink to the bottom. Otherwise you will need to remelt the entire thing.
What I would do is mix it all together then while it's all still liquid and mixed, separate into your 8 batches (in separate containers) then you don't have to worry about babysitting it while it is cooling down.

240 pounds?!? If you are new and this is the first time you are using stearic acid/beeswax, you should do a small (like 1-2 pounds) test batch. Stearic acid, especially, can be difficult to work with. That would be an awful lot of resources wasted if your soap seized.

IMO, no, the beeswax and stearic are likely to not remain liquid if the melted fats cool to room temp. JC's suggestion is a good one. Also, if you have no experience with beeswax or stearic acid, you really need to do a smaller test batch or two to determine how to adjust your methods if necessary.

Newbie or old hand, it is wise to do a small test batch whenever trying something new or modifying something “old.” I am too frugal to chance a big/costly failure. Little ones are bad enough!

Keep in mind with bees wax and stearic acid, you don't need a lot of it. I did tests with stearic acid, and found that more than 5% is trouble (unless you're making a shaving soap, in which case, carry on). I really like it at 1% to add bar hardness and lather stability without affecting trace. In those amounts I prefer to do the calculations so that I can use masterbatched oils, and add the stearic by hand, so that I can better control temps and not have to worry about the stearic solidifying.

Latest posts

Back