Adding sodium lactate to CP soap question.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soapmaker Man

Reaction score
I know a few soapmakers use SL, 60% liquid, in their soap for a couple reasons, hardness, release from mold, texture, so on. I know one of our members uses it in all her soaps, and she is a great successful soapier. My question is;
What really does SL add to or do for your CP soap? I also understand it helps HP to pour better, I think. I have never used it, and just wondered your opinions. I did find a great source at a great price. Help...

Paul.... :wink:

I use it in all my cp batches to add hardness. I notice a difference in the hardness of the bar if I don't use it - my bars will harden up without it but it will take longer. Other than that, I can't say that I notice much else.

I use it in every batch. It gets harder faster, it seems to hold the scent longer and I can unmold earlier.

Irena

soapbuddy said:
I use it in every batch. It gets harder faster, it seems to hold the scent longer and I can unmold earlier.

Irena

Irena, you are the member I was speaking of. Your web site is wonderful, and WOW, what a selection of soap variates! It's been a while since I visited. Cool! I saw that you use it in all your soaps, and hoped you chimed in with your thoughts! Thanks.

soapbuddy said:

Irena

Yes, that's why I use it, especially now that I've gotten older. :roll:

Paul, you use fresh goat milk though, right? Is it raw? If so, just let it sour a bit before using it (raw milk sours, pasteurized milk is evil and spoils, so that you don't want), and you'll have automatically built-in sodium lactate :D

HerthElde said:
Paul, you use fresh goat milk though, right? Is it raw? If so, just let it sour a bit before using it (raw milk sours, pasteurized milk is evil and spoils, so that you don't want), and you'll have automatically built-in sodium lactate :D

Yep, I been reading about that and did a batch a week ago with soured fresh GM. I've heard that it is an awesome soap! Thanks!

soapbuddy said:
So I can get sodium lactate from organic sour milk too?

Irena

Sure thing Irena! :) As long as it sours, it will produce sodium lactate! Isn't it cool! 8) There has been a long going thread at another forum about using soured milk in soap to produce a harder bar. Everyone said that the "sour" smell does not come through to your finished product. Sure enough, no smell, just firmer milk soap faster! :D

Soapmaker Man said:
soapbuddy said:

Irena

Sure thing Irena! :) As long as it sours, it will produce sodium lactate! Isn't it cool! 8) There has been a long going thread at another forum about using soured milk in soap to produce a harder bar. Everyone said that the "sour" smell does not come through to your finished product. Sure enough, no smell, just firmer milk soap faster! :D

Cool! thanks Paul.
How much of the soured milk could I replace for the water portion? I normally do the least amount of water to dissolve my lye, then add the milk at the just barely "emulsion" stage.

Irena

soapbuddy said:
Soapmaker Man said:
soapbuddy said:

Irena

Cool! thanks Paul.
How much of the soured milk could I replace for the water portion? I normally do the least amount of water to dissolve my lye, then add the milk at the just barely "emulsion" stage.

Irena

Irena, that is why I use a 50% pre-mixed lye solution. You, of course, know about a 50% lye solution is all the strength you can safely go, and still mix the water or I use aloe vera juice, with the lye. . If my recipe calls for 4 ounces of lye and 10 ounces of liquids, I measure out 8 ounces of my 50% pre-mixed lye solution and know there was 4 ounces of liquid and 4 ounces of lye in it. I need another 6 ounces of liquids to complete my liquids needed, and that is where I add the soured GM. I a person wants to claim 100% GM used all you have to do is add dried GM powder to the soured milk . My old "buddy" :lol: :roll: "JB" knocks me for not having 100% GM, but I add the extra back in so I can legally and morally say "made with 100% Goat Milk."
I also add my Goat Milk to my just emulsified batter, works GREAT that way with RTCP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back