Adding Shea Butter to recipe

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

dillsandwitch

Reaction score
Okay so I have never used Shea butter before but I decided to order some when I was ordering some FO's today.

This is my usual recipe that I use and I have thought about swapping out some of the tallow for Shea. maybe 10%. Just looking for some feedback from those who regularly use Shea butter.

Tallow 60%
RBO 25%
CO 10%
Castor 5%

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I would just take the 10% from your tallow. I use lard but my recipe is close to yours. I use more CO. I have se 10% Shea and like it.

CaraBou

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, that recipe would make a nice bar even if replacing 10% tallow with shea. If you also increase the CO for more lather like shunt alluded to, I'd take that from the tallow too, or from the RBO.

TeresaT

I see you.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else. I would reduce the tallow to 50% and add the shea butter at 10%.

dillsandwitch

Reaction score
Yes, that recipe would make a nice bar even if replacing 10% tallow with shea. If you also increase the CO for more lather like shunt alluded to, I'd take that from the tallow too, or from the RBO.

I am happy to sacrifice a little lather to keep the CO at 10%. Anything higher and my skin gets really dry and itchy.

Maybe I will make one batch I'll take the 10% from the tallow and the other with it from the RBO and see which one I like better

CaraBou

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It's worth it in my book too. Glad you know what works for you.