Adding Shea Butter to Pure CO Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AustinStraight

Reaction score
Hi! I've made quite a few batches of pure coconut oil soap with a 20% superfat and I loved all of them! But if I wanted to increase the luxury factor by adding a bit of shea butter, how much shea butter would I add? I was thinking maybe 5% shea butter, but then how much do you think I'd have to lower the superfat to account for the shea butter? Does 95% CO, 5% shea with a 19% superfat sound good? Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't quite understand your train of thought when you want to drop the superfat because you're adding shea. Can you explain your point of view a bit better?

The only reason the superfat is so high is because it's pure coconut, so I figured if I added something which wasn't nearly as drying as coconut, I would lower the superfat to prevent it from being greasy. Right?

Thank you, I'll try making it with 7% shea butter (5% seems just a bit small... go big or go home, right?) with a 20% superfat when I get some more lye.

Latest posts

Back