Adding oils after thin trace?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got an idea about making soap from ayurvedic oils. They're basically coconut /sesame oils infused with herbs, in high concentration.

My question is, since I want to keep as much medicinal value as possible, can I add the ayurvedic oils at trace? And then blend again?

My thoughts are that 1) at emulsification the saponification is something like 90% complete, therefore adding the medicinal oils last should help out from being processed out by the lye monster
2) it would be just like adding super fat in the end
3) it would be just like adding eo at trace

I'm thinking of using around 10-15% medicinal oils.

Would appreciate your thoughts! Thanks!

It's been said that if you want to try n retain any benefits from infusions, the best way to go is HP, because the lye monster just eats everything up in CP...

Someone should correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that saponification isn't complete until the soap is zapless, hence why we check for it after cooking the lye monster away in HP, which isn't when it's emulsified.

But.. Infused anything adds to label appeal. I use em a lot coz it's fun, and I think of em mostly as placebos lol

But I do like to think that some percentage of those benefits are retained, in HP :)

1) at emulsification the saponification is something like 90% complete, therefore adding the medicinal oils last should help out from being processed out by the lye monster
This is incorrect. Saponification in CP can take up to 48-72 hours depending on the oils used, concentration, and water content.

2) it would be just like adding super fat in the end
Yes, it would be, and that has been proven not to work in CP - lye is indiscriminate and will saponify whichever oil it comes into contact with, regardless of when that oil was added. The only way to be about 50% sure the oil you want is the superfatted oil, is to HP and even then, it's not guranteed

3) it would be just like adding eo at trace
Nope. EO and base oils are not the same thing - at all...

@Dawni pretty much had it right.
However, make sure of the laws in your country. Here in the US we cannot claim anything as medicinal without proving it's effects and calling it a drug, which means getting FDA testing done, which is in the thousands of dollars.

Thanks!!

Looks like I might venture into hp soon :)
Just to add to what @jcandleattic mentioned, I was initially surprised to learn that oils added to the batter at the end can “change places” so to speak with oils that have already reacted with the lye. Lye is a monster and CP soap is not a place to venture if you are a special oil :). It would be better to make a special lotion or maybe a body butter with it.

Latest posts

Back