Adding milk to melt and pour?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently made (at the request of a local midwife) a batch of cold processed soap using her breast milk as the water content. She totally loved it and promoted it on her midwives fb group page and was inundated ( as was I) with requests for the same from many new mums all over the country. She immediately saw a niche, and started making up DIY packs to send out. She has been doing a roaring trade from what i can see on insagram - packaging up a silicone mold, 500g of M&P soap base and instructions on how to make their own soap by adding 150g of their own breast milk to the soap base.
Is it just me, or is this a total no-no? Won't the milk go off within a couple of weeks? It's not like cold processed soap where the milk is essentially preserved by the lye in the saponification process is it?
I don't know whether I should tell her, not tell her, or something else??
Has anyone ever used milk in M&P and how long did it last before it went stinky?

Is it just me, or is this a total no-no? Won't the milk go off within a couple of weeks?

It's not just you. Milk and other fresh ingredients WILL go bad.

I don't know whether I should tell her, not tell her, or something else??

I would absolutely warn her before the complaints start rolling in or she gets sued because someone gets sick.

Back