Adding lye to rebatch? Another learning experience.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradigm

Reaction score
Adding lye to rebatch? Another learning experience. Update Crisis Adverted

First let me say thank you in advance for reading this and offering any advice. I continue to appreciate everyone's knowledge.

Used a recipe I've used a couple of times before, and right now has become my favorite recipe. Same oils same EOs. It went to a nice trace I poured in my wooden mold and noticed it seemed like it was ricing a bit. Searched and read up here, seemed like wait and see. Looked about an hour and a half later, oil separating on top. Read up again, wait and see. Went to check mold this morning about 15 hours after pouring, about normal time. The mold was still warm to hot, not too hot to touch, but more than warm. Loaf was harder than usual. I took the sides off and let the loaf sit until I could get to it just now. About 20 hours later.

I cut it and you can see what it looks like. Center is oily, it's separated oil. Outside is crumbling. There was oil all over the mold, the paper lining, the towel underneath the mold.

Recipe:
Lard 47%
Coconut 20%
OO 20%
Palm 5%
Castor 4%
Shea Butter Unrefinded 4% (Actually this is a newly acquired Butter)

H2O as % of oil weight: 38%
Superfat 5%
Lye concentration 26.9%
Water: Lye Ratio 2.7:1

I had measured the oils earlier in the day and then realized I wouldn't be able to finish then. When I came back I measured my water set it aside, then my lye. I went a bit over on the lye by 5 grams according to my scale, decided I'd add ten more grams of water. Set lye aside added 10 grams to my water then just to check again weighed my lye. It weighed about 2 oz shy of what it should have been, more than 50% less than called for.

Of course I didn't think about that last night, I'd weighed everything correctly once, and went on mixing, pouring as described above. Today in playing with my scale I think the batteries were dying and 30% of the time I'm getting the wrong weight. Changed batteries all is well.

So my question is, in attempting my rebatch should I add a lye water concentration, a oil lye, water mix, or just melt and stir and hope for the best knowing this batch may be different than my last two like this? It’s CP so I should just be able to let cure for 4 weeks and use as normal. (My house only.) Maybe I've made my first laundry soap.

If I add lye water or lye water oil concentration what percentage/ratio should I use? This strikes me as not the approved idea.

At this point with the amount of lye I used and everything else I'm superfatted at about 15%
Water as % of oil: 80%
Superfat: 15%
Lye concentration: 15.6%
Water to Lye Ratio: 5.4:1

I'm sorry if this is a stupid newbie question, I did search and couldn't find my exact circumstance.

All better, everything melted nicely. HPed and Poured perfectly. after looking at my approximate values I was less anxious than what
drove me to post. I didn't add anything. We'll see how it looks in the morning, or maybe later tonight if I'm up late.

I don't know why I couldn't get this through my mind to just HP it alone.

Thanks for the read and sorry to take up your time.

Lemon Soap.jpg

lemon2.jpg

Last edited:
Back