Adding herbs or flower petals to my soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelly-bean

Reaction score
Now that I've gotten the basic soap process down I'm ready to be adventurous. I want to try adding herbs or flower petals or something to my soap. What's the rule on that? Can i add them? If yes, when do I add them? What else can I add to my soap?

Bump!! Come on guys, someone should be able to answer this!
I'm only new to soapmaking, so will leave it to the experts!

This is actually something i've been wondering too. I'm sure you can add them, as I've seen it done before I'm just not sure the correct way to do it.

Hi!

I have tried adding rose petals rose almond oil and oatmeals!

It smells great!

Angi

Any way to keep your flowers or herbs from loosing their color.
I've planted a bunch of herbs and would like to use those myself.
Just don't want them all turning brown.

I'm trying to figure that out myself. The roses kept their color till I cut the loaf, then the oxidized. One load we used various flowers, like delphinium. They kinda kept their color, turned yellow though.

Here is a pic of our Goats Milk soap.
Done HP

100_0509.jpg

Most herbs are going to discolor. Lye monster!!

Calendula petals will not and look lovely in soap. Most soapers, myself included, add any additives at thin trace. If using oatmeal, some soapers like to add it to the oils before the lye to avoid clumping.

You can add anything you want, but add at a rate of 1T per pound to start. Some stuff is too scratchy and shouldn't be added (unless it's just to the tops after it's poured into the mold - that way it can be sliced off). Oatmeal should be ground fine or use colloidal or baby oatmeal. Peppermint leaves turn brownish, but are a nice additive. I hate lavender buds in soap as they look like mouse turds. Adding these to the tops can be aesthetically pleasing. Chamomile can be added, but should be finely ground. Seaweed is nice - and it pretty much stays that dark dark green.

I've added sterilized sand before for a scrubby beach soap. Pumice comes in all kinds of colors and makes a great foot or hand soap. Cornmeal can be added for a gardeners bar. I've also added ground orange and lemon zest. It doesn't turn brown, but doesn't have much color either.

Funny that seaweed was mentioned. Yesterday, I looked up seaweed
on the net to see how adding it to soap worked. And the claimed
benefits are nice. I take sea algea orally and was wondering about
even adding that to soap. And the best part of the seaweed issue
is that I can get it off the beaches here all day long for free !

I just recently started playing around with herbs and such. A few things turned out really neat.
I haven't taken pics of everything yet, but here are a few examples
[ame="http://www.rockyou.com/show_my_gallery.php?instanceid=77216946"]http://www.rockyou.com/show_my_gallery. ... d=77216946[/ame]

yea i must agree, they will eventually turn brown. And when you add lavender buds when they turn bronw they look like little bugs (yikes!)..

I add them when Im at trace, when you add the color and fo.. 1 Tablespoon per pound of oils..
Try Apricot Kernel Scrub, its nice.

Back