Adding fragrance to oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapprentice

Reaction score
Today, I attempted the February challenge, Ebru technique. I SBed till thin trace and separated the batter to mix colours. By the time I mixed the last colour, I observed the 1st one is between medium and thick trace and I rushed for the technique that I forgot to add my essential oil. So, my question is, does adding fragrance to oils before adding lye differ from adding at trace?

I've done it both ways. Adding the scent to oils doesn't change the way the scent comes through in the final product. For scents that are known fast movers, I don't use a stick blender. I hand mix/stir the lye mixture into the oils with a spatula. Be ready to seperate and mix colors as soon as it starts to come together and keep it simple. When the FO or EO aren't accelerators, proceed as normal.

ETA: It's my preferred method now. I only add scent after trace if I'm making a big batch and seperating it out to test different scents.

Last edited:
Soapprentice said:
does adding fragrance to oils before adding lye differ from adding at trace?

In my experience, sometimes yes, and sometimes no. When the results do differ, sometimes the difference is a positive thing, and sometimes it is a negative thing. It all depends on the particular FO. Many of my FOs do quite well when added to the oils before the lye, but a small handful of them don't (they cause whatever acceleration that would normally happen with them to be even worse).

Edited to add- the difference I refer to above is in regard to acceleration. The actual smell of the FOs I use is the same whether added to my oils or at trace.

IrishLass :)

I tend to add fo to oils so long as they don't discolor. I don't do it because of problem oils tho. I don't want to either a) forget it completely or b) put time and effort into a pretty design only to realize I didn't add it and either have unscented or destroy that hard work!

Thank you guys, will start adding them to my oils from now on.. currently I am using simple Essential oils. Did not try the fragrance oils yet though I have got a couple. I don't need acceleration when I am just starting out..

Latest posts

Back