Adding FO to lye water

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kay Kaye

Reaction score
Hi All
Today I used an FO (OMH) that I'd forgotten accelerates and rices like mad. This soap was for wedding favours so I'll have to start again.
Is it worth it trying a small test batch (and not wasting too many ingredients) and adding the FO to the lye water or am I likely to be wasting my time?
Thank you.

Looks like I got away with it considering I had soap on a stick within 30 secs!
Swirls did not turn out as planned but the ricing is 'hidden' by the wavy edge cut.
Phew - the bride to be likes it and that's all that matters.

Attachments

• Oatmeal, Milk & Honey.jpg
    Oatmeal, Milk & Honey.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 20
Swirls did not turn out as planned
We won't know what you planned, but these swirls are totally “acceptable” IMHO! 😍

Are you sure it is only the FO speeding up your reaction, and the honey and oil composition are innocent?

Looks like I got away with it considering I had soap on a stick within 30 secs!
Good job!

I have been experimenting with adding the FO to the warmed oils and blending well prior to adding the lye water solution.
So far, it has been working well. In both batches I reached a thin trace stick blending within 2-3 minutes and able to pour into my silicone mold.
However, within a minute the mixture would set up quite medium firm. I am not into frou-frou types of soap (no offense intended) so this process works well for me.
In addition, there has been no change in scent or any coloration added using this process.

Good job!

I have been experimenting with adding the FO to the warmed oils and blending well prior to adding the lye water solution.
So far, it has been working well. In both batches I reached a thin trace stick blending within 2-3 minutes and able to pour into my silicone mold.
However, within a minute the mixture would set up quite medium firm. I am not into frou-frou types of soap (no offense intended) so this process works well for me.
In addition, there has been no change in scent or any coloration added using this process.

Thank you. I'm going to try that tomorrow and make a small test batch.

I do the same! It works well for me. However, I do it with only EOs & FOs I’m familiar with because you can have ricing. That’s only happened once and I will not be using that FO again! This saves time and so does the Heat Transfer Method of allowing your Hot Lye to melt you hard oils & butters! Blessings!

Back