Adding flowers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CynCyn

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I want to add lavender buds to my lavender/ lemon soap but read that they turn brown over time. What is the best way to incorporate them into my soap? I also have rose petals that I'd like to incorporate into my soap in the future. Thanks for the feedback. 🥰

I don't think there is any way to keep them from turning brown. They might keep their color for awhile if they are placed just on the top of the soap.

Calendula petals and a blue flower (I forget the name, but maybe Bachelor's Buttons?) are the only two I know of that don't eventually turn brown. I'm not sure about the blue inside the soap, but the calendula petals will stay yellow even in the soap. I don't much like them in there though myself.

Someone said they get good results if they make the soap and then later glue the botanical stuff to the top with clear melt-and-pour soap. I've never tried it -- just passing the tip on for what it's worth.

My rose petal soap: FAEC29D9-5190-491F-94F9-7493ACA26AB8.jpeg I wouldn't want to put the petals in the soap though - just a few on top is plenty. When i cut it, I turn it on its side so that the petals don't drag through the soap.

I understand the romance of the idea -- it's hard to resist those cute photos on Pinterest of soap bars strewn with petals and buds. I'm not sure much romance remains when the soap is actually used for bathing. I think some soap makers instruct the user to cut petals, buds, or other botanical matter off the top of the soap before using it. Other people say nothing and let the user figure out how to deal with the mess in the shower or tub. Either way, the reality of this type of decoration is kind of a come down.

I also question whether it's a good idea to put botanical matter like this IN the soap. Petals or buds do not dissolve during use, so the bather will have to rinse the botanical material down the drain. Also there's the issue of lumpy hard bits that affect the texture and feel of the soap.

I once purchased a bar of soap that I didn't realize had steel cut (coarse ground) oats in it. I eventually had to discard the soap because the lumps of oats were really uncomfortable (and rather ugly) as they gradually appeared when the soap dissolved around them. Rose petals might be softer, but I'd think lavender buds would be a lot like these oats.

I think some people make flower buds and petals out of real soap and use this faux botanical material to decorate with. Even though this can be a lot of work, the effect can be lovely, especially since it's all soap -- nothing to go brown nor clog the drains. It's a "have your cake and eat it too" solution.

Here's a short video of making a rose from melt-and-pour soap --

Other people use regular (not M&P) soap instead --

I powder the rose petals and run through a fine strainer also same with lavender flowers. they each add a different kind of brown speckled appearance to the soap. done this way, you can't feel them, just see the detail. And I like it on the label.

I put lavender buds on top of a white soap. I regret it. Some of it stayed pretty, but as you use the soap and they eventually fall off....it looked like rotten brown spots on the top. Kind of hard to explain to ppl when you give or sell them your soap (im not selling yet).

Before i started making soap though, i used to buy a lavender soap that had ground buds throughout. It was pretty and added a nice texture.

I discovered early on that lavender buds end up looking like mouse turds in CP soap. I also do not put botanicals in my soaps. Also discovered that they never end up looking like they do by themselves, along with the other problems mentioned. A rose or lavender swirl is much nicer. I'd rather use the dried flowers creatively in my wrapping. I "rebatch" CP soap in my microwave, add some red or pink mica and grate it into a white soap to look like rose petals for my Champaign and Roses soap.

Thank you all for your input and insight. I think I'll use the lovely flowers for something else.

I don’t do botanicals on soap. It gives me the sensory heebs having to deal with them. 🤢

I like botanicals on top of soap but sparingly. That way when you use the soap they fall off and are t that messy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 17
I really liked the soap I made using rose petal infused oil. I gathered the rose petals from my rose bush, dried them, and infused them in oil. I have not used the petals on or in the soap, however. But I have seen rose petals soaked in clear soap (Melt & Pour) that can then be used as 'Soap Petals' . Creating soap petals that way isn't difficult, but seems just too fussy for me, however, they would certainly make a pretty little display in a guest bath.

Lavender petals do turn brown and over time as the soap looses more and more water (if you let if sit unused long enough), the buds can become very scratchy. In fact, I have found that many botanical exfoliant additives will become more and more scratchy the older the soap gets. My skin may be more sensitive than others, but for my skin, I'll only use exfoliant soaps on the soles of my feet.

Hello all. A newbie here.

I have just started doing soap. Have done a few batches to give away to friends for trying before I start my small soap business.

Flower petals in soap looks really pretty and cool. But its a bit impractical right, like how do you take a shower with it. Because I want people to actually use it instead of just putting it on the shelf because it looks too pretty. Do you rub the petals on the soap, on your body? The petals would all be all over the shower floor and you like gotta pick it up, else too much and it might clog he drain hole. Also I heard it will turn brown in the soap too.

Basically its for the aesthetic value for the soap right? And if you are doing soap for selling, I think flower petals on/in the soap is not practical. Can anybody advice if what I'm thinking here is legit and true?

I thought it would be cool to put whole coffee beans on my Chocolate Espresso soap. It really did look cool. And then I used it in the shower and now I had coffee beans to dispose off. Not a super huge deal…I just put them on the side of the tub. Forgot about them until the next time I showered. The cranberry seeds were less problematic…so tiny they just went down the drain. But if I had been taking a bath, it would have been a different story.

Back